Hen with droopy injured broken wing, pics

MissNiss

Chirping
Aug 16, 2017
PNW
I've been trying to decipher what is going on with my 2 year old brown leghorn. She was found, upside down on the coop floor below roosts. She was helped up, hobbled off and I've isolated her in a crate for care. There was no blood, but she was walking over her long primary feathers on the droopy left side, tripping. I have been examining her and this is what I found? Very hard for me to get a photo with her, she's pretty docile but hates my camera! This is inside the left wing along primaries. I've been researching wings and feathers and I don't know. I've wrapped her wing lightly to her body. Is anyone familiar to what I'm looking at?

Attachments

• IMG_20190114_140551.jpg
    IMG_20190114_140551.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20190114_140748.jpg
    IMG_20190114_140748.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 16
That looks like a pin feather :confused: Can't make it out very well.
Check the color of her eyes.
Have you had any new additions?
Are there any other symptoms?
She eating/drinking/pooping?
How's her poop?
She laying, when was the last time?

Can she stand and walk? Is it just one wing that is drooping? Is there any bleeding? Could she have been injured by a predator or has she been picked on by the others?

That looks like a pin feather :confused: Can't make it out very well.
Check the color of her eyes.
Have you had any new additions?
Are there any other symptoms?
She eating/drinking/pooping?
How's her poop?
She laying, when was the last time?
I know, so hard to take a pic of inside the wing. Whatever this is, is cracked. The only additions I have are the chicks my broody hatched 6 months. She is eating and drinking, preening or trying to, she does have green diarrhea. She had just started laying again right before this happened after a hard mold, hasn't laid since. Checked her vent and crop. Eyes are clear, her comb and wattle are slightly pale. She can walk, wobbles a bit wonky now that I've got her wrapped, the left side was noticeably droopy and she was holding her other wing weird to balance. She was hopping down the steps and wants to follow along with the others. I had to take her out and observe her. I've wormed them all.

Can she stand and walk? Is it just one wing that is drooping? Is there any bleeding? Could she have been injured by a predator or has she been picked on by the others?
She can walk and stand, unbalanced a bit now that I wrapped her gently. She's also trying to preen herself and peck around. No bleeding. No predators that I know of, not in the coop for sure. We have a high roost option and wonder if she fell. Just left side droops, but she's definitely holding herself weird. The others aren't picking on her, she's high in pecking order and still observed that today while out. I let her out to observe earlier. She did perk up quite a bit with her girls. They all get along, 7 total.

Back
Top Bottom