Droopy wings & falling over

Mrsmalexander8

Chirping
Apr 18, 2023
Hello,

Did some searching but wasn’t able to find these symptoms, and truly want to make sure I’m doing the right thing here for the bird in question and my flock.

I have a 6 week old appenzeller spitzhauben (not sure yet on sex, SR from greenfire), has been healthy until about 1 week ago, when I noticed him looking ill, puffed up and lethargic, on its own, falling asleep a lot. I had just moved the 13 birds it came with from the indoor brooder to the outdoor “look don’t touch” with my mixed flock of 7 ~16 week old pullets. As soon as I noticed this I put him back inside by himself to quarantine for a while and observe. Poops looked normal, but he was eating and drinking, albeit very little. I made him mash and gave him some electrolytes and acv water. I took away food at night and the crop looked and feels empty in the morning. No discharge from eyes or nostrils, no swelling or sneezing. Nothing in the mouth I can see. All other chicks seem totally normal. I kept him in isolation for 72 hours and he seemed slightly more energetic, but barely so. Since I didn’t notice any others getting sick, I thought it best to return him to the flock and give him sunshine and grass in the run during the days. He’s been in there with them now for a few days and I’ve seen him eat and drink, but again very little. Now both wings are drooping and dragging on the ground, still he mostly keeps to himself, and still falling asleep often. Sometimes now his foot gets caught in the droopy wing and it makes him fall over on his back and he can’t right himself easily. I’ve helped him several times and I’m sure he’s had to do it himself when I am not there. My other birds are all acting normal. I looked under the wings but frankly don’t really know what I’m looking for, I don’t see bugs or broken wings or feathers. I gave him some nutridrench by dropper today, did not seem to change him.

I want to know if I can ease his suffering, if I should keep him isolated or do something else. I don’t really want to involve a vet.

6 week old

ill, puffed up and lethargic, on its own, falling asleep a lot.
Photos of the chick and his poop?

Have you treated with any medications like Corid (Amprolium) or a sulfa antibiotic?

If not, then I'd treat with Corid and see if that helps.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom