Hen with hurt foot, hard time getting her back in the flock

Unsworth

Songster
7 Years
Jan 19, 2015
South Central Michigan (Parma)
I have 21 hens and one rooster. I found one hen with a pecked foot one day to the point of it being an open bleeding wound. I separated her for a while until the wound healed and scabbed over. I put her back in the flock but here we go again. I found her foot pecked again with the wound opened up. She is now in the basement in the hen hospital. It is so cold outside (1 F this morning in Michigan) I thought she would heal and be more comfortable in the basement. I am wondering if the foot will ever look normal. Will the hens keep pecking it open because it looks "different?"

I did a little research and read that Vicks Vapor Rub or something called Blu Kote would help. Has anybody had a problem like this where they never get the hen to assimilate back into the flock?

She is such a nice hen and lays an egg every day. Could this be the rooster or could it be any of the hens? When my son and I were holding the hen in the chicken house the rooster flew up, pecked my hand and caused it to bleed. We discussed his fate after that but I have forgiven him for now.

Blu-kote disguises the wound and protects it from bacteria. Vicks would sting the wound and wouldn't really discourage the chickens.

Has this wound ever fully healed? Or does it just scab over without ever resolving? If it's been more than a month and the wound hasn't closed up and new tissue grown over it, it may be a squamous cell cancer. Can you post a photo of it? Close-up and focused.

Many of us have a small enclosure in a corner of our runs where we can stash a recovering chicken so they are safe while still remaining in the flock so there are no re-integration issues. At night they can roost safely with the flock as chickens don't do much more at night than sleep. Getting her out of the coop first thing in the morning may be the trickiest part, but it sure beats trying to get her back into the flock without new injuries happening.

Blu-kote disguises the wound and protects it from bacteria. Vicks would sting the wound and wouldn't really discourage the chickens.

Has this wound ever fully healed? Or does it just scab over without ever resolving? If it's been more than a month and the wound hasn't closed up and new tissue grown over it, it may be a squamous cell cancer. Can you post a photo of it? Close-up and focused.

Many of us have a small enclosure in a corner of our runs where we can stash a recovering chicken so they are safe while still remaining in the flock so there are no re-integration issues. At night they can roost safely with the flock as chickens don't do much more at night than sleep. Getting her out of the coop first thing in the morning may be the trickiest part, but it sure beats trying to get her back into the flock without new injuries happening.
She seemed to scab over and heal the first time it happened in about a week or less. Now, she is scabbing up again from what I can tell. I can try to get a picture. It is super cold here in Michigan right now so she has to be near all the other chickens if she is out with the rest of them. They have a good sized chicken house and a yard that is snow covered at this time. I keep the snow cleared in front of the house. It is so cold (and windy sometimes) they stay in the house a lot and come when conditions aren't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom