Hen with infected vent?

So feed her this from a dropper?
Too risky, aspiration of any oil is very dangerous and can cause lipoid pneumonia. Maybe try soaking some bread in it? I tube feed it, or stick a 1ml syringe don their throat, but most people aren't comfortable doing that.

-Kathy

but what's the ball? stuck poop, sac of pus (because she smells pretty sour, despite any pus outside) broken egg inside her?

PreperationH diaper cream will clear up the rash

And just rub this on her "ball"? I know the red skin is normal with molting.

I also squirted iodine on her vent and the ball in case it was a superficial infection, alone with dusting her food, feathers, and crate shavings with DE.

Last edited:
These might help you to check for an egg or masses.

fig025.jpg

-Kathy

Yes I think she's egg bound you need to put on latex gloves and get it out.
ok looking at another thread on egg binding, the oviduct is on the top of the bird. This lump is under her vent where intestines are. How would an egg get down there?
And, how aggressive do I push this lump? Up? up and in?

or could it be ascites? Been looking into that chronic condition. although the pics I'm finding of ascites show a swollen abdomen as whole, not a lump

that's where the bulge is, leading me to think not eggbound, but I can palpate again. Initially I stuck my finger in and down maybe an inch and a half and felt no solid mass, but little bumpy things (intestine villi?).

I'm looking into internal laying now, but I'm not finding picture of hens with similar appearances.If she is internally laying, not much can be done right?

Back
Top Bottom