Heidi Parr

Hatching
Jun 11, 2017
Hi. So, I have a little Amaraucana hen that was pretty brutally henpecked, and her back was tore open down to bone. It's now starting to look infected. I don't have pictures of the infection, but the initial wound from a couple days ago. It should be somewhere on the post. She is being treated with a hydrogel(that contains silver), antibiotics, and an anti-microbial xeroform underneath gauze. She has been eating scrambled eggs since the day she was wounded, and as of 30 minutes ago she has been ingesting vitamin supplements. I was wondering if there is anything else I can be doing to help her get better. This is my favorite hen, and I don't want anything to happen to her. Anything, even expensive, I will try. I don't have a vet who will help chickens in the area, so that isn't an option.

Attachments

• IMG_6741.JPG
    IMG_6741.JPG
    432.1 KB · Views: 35
Little update. The hen is doing wonderful. No infection anymore. She's very active, and is eating and drinking a lot. The bandage is now off for a bit to let the wound breathe. She already has new skin forming in some spots on the wound, and new feathers are even coming in some spots! She had some very discolored patches on her wound on the second day after the attack, which I initially thought was because the infection was really bad. But I now believe they were just bruises. They are completely gone now. If there are any changes, I will be sure to post about them. :)

If this is caused by hen pecking then you need to re-evaluate your flock and their management. If they have plenty of space and things to do to keep them from boredom, then I would be isolating the ring leader for a few weeks.

Raw honey can be quite useful on wounds like this both for keeping it moist and possibly fighting infection as it has some antibiotic properties. Another member of BYC had an extensive thread about using granulated white sugar and coconut oil. She used stockingette tubing to cover the wound, cutting holes in it for the wings to hold it in place and keep the dressing underneath secure. I will see if I can find the thread. Her hen's wound was under the wing caused by mating, but yours being on the back should be easier to keep mediation and dressing on.

Chickens can recover from some pretty shocking wounds, so there is hope she can heal but it will be a long slow process with one that deep.

Would recommend you get a chicken saddle for her when you do put her back with the flock and the best way to reintroduce her would be to put a low ranking bird in with her for a few weeks.... in her territory and if that goes well, add another after a week or so, monitoring things carefully and have them in a pen where they can see but not touch the others and if that goes OK, then introduce all 3 into the main pen. Make sure there are obstacles in the pen that can allow a bullied chicken to get out of sight of the others, but don't create dead ends where they can get cornered.

Good luck with her.

Barbara

This is the link to the thread I mentioned

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yikes-large-wound-on-hen.1141144/

Last edited:
Hi. So, I have a little Amaraucana hen that was pretty brutally henpecked, and her back was tore open down to bone. It's now starting to look infected. I don't have pictures of the infection, but the initial wound from a couple days ago. It should be somewhere on the post. She is being treated with a hydrogel(that contains silver), antibiotics, and an anti-microbial xeroform underneath gauze. She has been eating scrambled eggs since the day she was wounded, and as of 30 minutes ago she has been ingesting vitamin supplements. I was wondering if there is anything else I can be doing to help her get better. This is my favorite hen, and I don't want anything to happen to her. Anything, even expensive, I will try. I don't have a vet who will help chickens in the area, so that isn't an option.

you are doing well. just separate her from the others and I would leave the wound uncovered. the chickens heal quick.

I got a chick who's tail (parson's nose) was eaten to the bone during shipment. the vet told me to put some 2% iodine (betadine) only. she healed 100% and the feathers started to grow as well.

Back
Top Bottom