Hen with Injured leg

Candice owners

Hatching
Jul 12, 2023
Our one yr old Candice had a hard landing the 9th pm. She proceeded to hop on one leg. We are first time owners. Thought I felt a grind up high. Vet wanted caged for 24 and got her in after noon of 11th. Physical exam confirmed she felt grinding. Break or dislocation. She was not experienced in either. Maybe would try surgery for dislocation. Leaned toward euthanizing. Opted no xray and brought her. home. Should we splint even though it is high? Or should we try wrapping around wing with foot immobilized under her? Is sweet and sits on my lap. We will try to help her. Thanks for everyone’s experience in this and helping us!

Welcome to BYC! Sadly, it is hard to find avian vets, and normal vets have very little know how with birds, typically.

I haven't had a chicken with a full break either, but I think it is worth a shot. I will tag some people that may know the best course of action if no one picks it up themselves.

Whether a splint might work or not, depends very much on where the break is. If a break is very high up, near or at the hip, it often requires surgery and pins to hold the bones in place so it can heal. I am attaching a splinting manual, explains how to examine and shows various splinting methods, hopefully that will help. It shows song birds, but the anatomy is the same.

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
😬Welcome to BYC! Sadly, it is hard to find avian vets, and normal vets have very little know how with birds, typically.

I haven't had a chicken with a full break either, but I think it is worth a shot. I will tag some people that may know the best course of action if no one picks it up themselves.
Thank you so much Saveria! Tagging is somehow trying to leave a message for them? I have not had time to read about that. Thank you again.
Whether a splint might work or not, depends very much on where the break is. If a break is very high up, near or at the hip, it often requires surgery and pins to hold the bones in place so it can heal. I am attaching a splinting manual, explains how to examine and shows various splinting methods, hopefully that will help. It shows song birds, but the anatomy is the same.
Thank you sooo much for the informative video. You are kind to respond!

Tagging is somehow trying to leave a message for them?
Yes, in a way. If you make an @ symbol in your text window that we type our posts in, and then start typing in someones username there is a little window that will come up with a list of who it could be that you are typing. If you click on that persons username they will get a special message that they were mentioned when the post is posted. I'll do it for you so you can see it, @Candice owners . If you type @saver I will pop up and you can click on my icon, and same for everyone else on here.

Once you get a sense for which persons on here have expertise in which area you can tag them in a post so they can come over and see it and hopefully help out.

Back
Top Bottom