Hen with lump in her throat and Labored breathing

TimmyTurtle

Hatching
Jun 26, 2021
Hello all recently one of my hens has started to have trouble breathing at times gasping for air, she also has a lump in her throat. Luckily she has been living with it and is still eating, drinking and hasn't lost any weight but I'm concerned it might get worse any help as to what it could be would be appreciated.

Fixed link
This is a video of her gasping

Last edited:
In order for us to be able to view your video, you need to first post it to YouTube, then copy the URL and post it here. It will then embed.

Chances are your hen has something stuck in her trachea (airway). Often, these resolve on their own, but if it's too far down to be dislodged by coughing or sneezing, it may have to be surgically removed. You need to pinpoint for us precisely where this object is by feel. Compare to another chicken so you know what is and isn't normal anatomy. It could be something has obstructed the esophagus or crop. Surgery might be required there, also.

Here's a chicken anatomy diagram for reference.
B67ACF1C-FB7C-425F-A30E-82175CA1769D.jpeg

She is gasping for air and sneezing. This can be a sign of several different respiratory diseases. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) ILT, and coryza are some of the possible ones. Testing by your state poultry vet would identify which one. Do you see any drainage from her nostrils, bubbles or foam in one eye, or swelling of the face or around an eyelid? Have you added any new birds recently to your flock?

In order for us to be able to view your video, you need to first post it to YouTube, then copy the URL and post it here. It will then embed.

Chances are your hen has something stuck in her trachea (airway). Often, these resolve on their own, but if it's too far down to be dislodged by coughing or sneezing, it may have to be surgically removed. You need to pinpoint for us precisely where this object is by feel. Compare to another chicken so you know what is and isn't normal anatomy. It could be something has obstructed the esophagus or crop. Surgery might be required there, also.

Here's a chicken anatomy diagram for reference.View attachment 2947274
Sorry about the video not working I'll fix that tomorrow morning, and I don't think it's something stuck cause when I held her and felt the lump it move with the skin while she was breathing.

She is gasping for air and sneezing. This can be a sign of several different respiratory diseases. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) ILT, and coryza are some of the possible ones. Testing by your state poultry vet would identify which one. Do you see any drainage from her nostrils, bubbles or foam in one eye, or swelling of the face or around an eyelid? Have you added any new birds recently to your flock?
No drainage from the eyes or foam but she does sneeze quite a bit so I'll check and no new additions they all hatched at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom