Hen with tumor behind eye and swollen crop, possible lymphoid leukosis?

Bridgette89

Chirping
Jan 26, 2018
Queensland, Australia
Hey everyone,

My favourite hen Ruby has grown a tumor on her face quite rapidly and has an enlarged crop.

I have taken her to the vet and they took a sample of the lump (I think the black near the lump is blood from that) and it wasn't completely conclusive but they are thinking that she may have lymphoid leukosis.

Her crop was also very swollen and they took samples from it but she didn't have sour crop or anything like that.

She is currently taking antibiotics in her water in case it is some type of infection.

Any advice on what it may be would be great :) thank-you.

20190116_105743.jpg
20190116_111524.jpg

I had a hen with a face worse that once. She had that long enough to not be in any fall pictures. The swelling eventually went away. I think she was stung by a new in the face. As far as crop, I had a hen that had an abscess on her chest.

Her crop was also very swollen and they took samples from it but she didn't have sour crop or anything like that.

I have taken her to the vet and they took a sample of the lump (I think the black near the lump is blood from that) and it wasn't completely conclusive but they are thinking that she may have lymphoid leukosis.
@azygous
Is she pooping - what does that look like?
What other symptoms does your hen have - lethargy, not eating/drinking, weight loss, swelling of the abdomen, etc.?

She does have a full/swollen crop in the photo - have you checked to see if the crop is empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?
If it's full in the morning - then you do have a crop problem. It may not be sour yet, but it could turn that way if it's not emptying properly.

For the crop issue - how does it feel - hard, soft, squishy, air filled, doughy, etc.?
Here's an article that will get you started and help you figure out which one it is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How old is this sweet girl? She looks a bit ashen in the face to me and with her comb flopped. Is that normal for her? BTW, I love her eye co tact with the camera!
Is she isolated from her friends in that photo? If she doesn’t have other symptoms, I’d probably lay leave her with the flock. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey everyone,

My favourite hen Ruby has grown a tumor on her face quite rapidly and has an enlarged crop.

She is currently taking antibiotics in her water in case it is some type of infection.

View attachment 1643308View attachment 1643306

Oh she didn't look good I'm so sorry she facing this trouble

I've made a lot of research on. LL it's a very dangerous sickness
But there's more specific symptoms has to be persent like enlarged Bursa , Abdominal swelling , inappetence , paleness & death
Victim birds will not look.bright the way ur bird looking also they look sleepy and poor at health or growth

Some tumors are non-cancerous harmless if your chicken recover and back to her health I will not worry

Do u add any new bird ?
How old she is ?
And how's her poop looks like ?
What kind of antibiotics u have started ?
How her crop feels like?
Do they give any multi-vitamins?
If no then I would start her vitamins

Hey everyone,

I can be of absolutely no help to you with this unfortunately, I just wanted to say she is adorable :love

Hey everyone,

Sorry to read about your poor hen.
Do you think your vet has bad the wrong diagnosis?
If your vet examined your hens crop, then it would seem unlikely that he/she would have missed a crop disorder.
I think I'm right in writing that any of the leukosis group can be transmitted through the egg and through the feces, so you would need to isolate this hen from your flock, but more importantly, disinfect the coop she lived in and if she was in a run, the ground given it's a viral condition.

To diagnose LL, her cells would need to be tested for DNA markers for the LL virus. If LL is riding around in this hen, then it's also riding around inside every chicken in your flock. It's that contagious.

How old is Ruby? How long have you noticed the tumor? Is the tumor hard as a rock or soft? LL doesn't necessarily kill. I have a hen approaching eleven years that carries LL, and she has had a rock hard tumor over one eye for half her life, and she's still vigorous and top of the pecking order.

That said, Ruby's color isn't at all good. The floppy comb is a small indication of overall not-so-good health, but it can also appear that way from molt. Has she just molted?

It wouldn't surprise me if the vet didn't recognize an impacted crop or even sour crop. Did they examine any crop fluid for yeast?

Please follow @Wyorp Rock advice and check Ruby's crop before she eats and drinks in the morning. If she's not eating much and is drinking a lot of water, that points to impacted crop. Is her crop hard or soft and squishy?

Unfortunately, crop disorders are common when a chicken is becoming symptomatic with leucosis. If Ruby dies, she should have a necropsy so you will know for certain if your flock is carrying the LL virus.

I underlined my questions so you won't miss any. Answering them will give us all more information to go on.

Thank you so much for all your help!!

I am unsure how old she is, I got her has a full grown hen.
The tumor I only noticed 1 week ago. I wouldnt say it is like a rock but it is not squishy, the skin moves around it?

She has always had a floppy comb and hasnt molted recently.

The vet did examine the fluid in her crop. They said there was nothing abnormal.. Her crop no is massive.. At times it is squishy and others a little harder. But never hard and small like a normal crop at the end of the day. She is now also twitching her head and extending her neck.. most likely out of the discomfort the crop is giving her?

She is only eating a little bit here and there. She is a bit lethargic but was still able to fly herself to the top perch.

There has been no new birds into the coop for over 6 months.

She has been on Psittavet (doxycycline) for six days with no change. Her crop has gotten worse. Originally the main thing I was worried about was the tumor.. that seems to be doing nothing but now her crop is the worry.

Also her poo is small, green and runny.

Thank-you so much again. If you didnt look so alert I would have her put down but she is obviously fighting.

Back
Top Bottom