Henrietta clenching her bottom

kewillia

Hatching
Jul 9, 2020
Hello,

New to the chicken world and lacking in appropriate chicken terminology, so I apologize in advance. We have a very pretty silver laced Wyandotte hen, 22 weeks, and she has been extra loud this week (I thought it was from the heat, high 80s/90s), but then the past few days I saw what looked like butt clenching constantly. We looked at her vent and noticed that it looks larger than the other chickens (she is the oldest by 3 weeks) and that there's a little bit of yellow discharge (I will post a pic). Besides the extra noise she appears to be acting normal, for herself. Any idea what might be the problem or how to diagnose? Thank you so very much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_9085.jpg
    IMG_9085.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9074.jpg
    IMG_9074.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Have you tried giving her a warm epsom salt bath. Sometimes that will help relax the vent. Have you checked her for a bound egg. If she is egg bound and straining it can cause a prolapse

It lloks like just a very relaxed cloaca doesn’t it? Does she ever relax enough for that to go back inside? I had a hen who did that when she was straining while I held her, but it would go back in on it’s own. Usually a prolapsed vent is pretty red. Here is some reading about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Back
Top Bottom