hens aren't laying

coopdeville08

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
arlington WA
We have a BR,Andul, Sexlink,RR,Amer. These hens are 17months old. They were laying without fail till this sping when the started their first molt. Since then the RR is the only one still laying.How long does it take for a chicken to restart themselves? They act pefectly normal, just no eggs. They have a great coop and huge run. I have been checking for eggs outside. none. My young ones are about to start and I dont know what to do with the older ones. Any help would be greatful!!

They haven't laid since SPRING?!
ep.gif

I would be pulling my hair out. Do they squat, or give any indication that they are in egg laying mode? What is their diet? Do they eat oystershell? My older ones quit for the molt, but they better start up when that is over...

If they haven't laid since spring, that's a LONG time. I would be very concerned about their overall health. How is their health, btw? Are they glossy feathered, are their eyes clear, are they eating well and maintaining good weight? Do they seem healthy to you.

They seem perfect in every way. When they molted the feathers fell out new ones came in, they look fine. Good color, weight, and eating good. They are active. I feed layer pellet, oyster shell, scratch grain, fruits and veggies. Maybe i just have pet hens.

Quote:
Wow, okay, if they are healthy and they free range, I'd keep a "hawk's eye" on them when they're out and check any "favorite spots" for eggs. Once raked out 11 eggs from under a henhouse, where the gap from the ground was about 5" high. Another time I found 9 eggs in a nest, DEEPLY buried under blackberry brambles. I had to crawl flat on my stomach using my elbows to "walk" myself down to where the nest was and while I was under there I almost didn't see it. A bell in my head went off when I saw a hen who was free-ranging (who had apparently stopped laying) duck under the blackberries. Ding ding! I found out she was laying regularly.
roll.png

If you're absolutely POSITIVE they've stopped laying and aren't laying anywhere else.. I'd try upping their protein for several weeks just to see if you can re-trigger the egg-laying. There's a thread here about protein, with an interesting discussion about it's effect on egg-laying. Here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=254277&p=1

Good luck!

Very good info. I am going to try the protien route. First im going to check better under the bushes and ferns in their run. Maybe I'll find the stash. Anyway, thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom