hens behind has fluid

lotsofloveforchickens

Songster
5 Years
Mar 17, 2018
I have a hen that's an older hen and today she needed help getting off the roost and tonight she was on the floor of hen house, I picked her up and she felt like she has lost weight and her behind felt like she was retaining some kind of fluid. has anyone had this happen before?

If you mean her "behind" as in under her tail...that the area located under her vent feels squishy, then it most likely is ascites.

Ascites is a build up of fluid in the abdomen from most often liver failure. It happens in aging hens. It can be a sign of internal cancer or heart failure as well.

The other option is an egg that is stuck and broken in the canal, which has become infected.

Either way, squishy abdomen is not a good sign especially with weakness especially in an aging hen.

Next action depends upon your chicken keeping philosophy. Is she livestock? Or is she a pet?

If pet, you will need to take her to a vet asap. He will likely drain the abdomen and may prescribe a series of antibiotics in hopes that checks it. Or he may recommend a hysterectomy if he feels it is related to egg binding infection (salpingitis), which will not be particularly cheap.

If livestock, you can decide if she has quality of life and watch her with some TLC support, or cull her.

I prefer to cull hens in this condition as they can become vectors of illness to the rest of the flock and I have never seen one remain long with any quality of life. They simply waste their remaining days away.

However, if she is a beloved pet, and can regain some quality of life, TLC and vet care are in quick order.

Good luck with her.
LofMc

If you mean her "behind" as in under her tail...that the area located under her vent feels squishy, then it most likely is ascites.

Ascites is a build up of fluid in the abdomen from most often liver failure. It happens in aging hens. It can be a sign of internal cancer or heart failure as well.

The other option is an egg that is stuck and broken in the canal, which has become infected.

Either way, squishy abdomen is not a good sign especially with weakness especially in an aging hen.

Next action depends upon your chicken keeping philosophy. Is she livestock? Or is she a pet?

If pet, you will need to take her to a vet asap. He will likely drain the abdomen and may prescribe a series of antibiotics in hopes that checks it. Or he may recommend a hysterectomy if he feels it is related to egg binding infection (salpingitis), which will not be particularly cheap.

If livestock, you can decide if she has quality of life and watch her with some TLC support, or cull her.

I prefer to cull hens in this condition as they can become vectors of illness to the rest of the flock and I have never seen one remain long with any quality of life. They simply waste their remaining days away.

However, if she is a beloved pet, and can regain some quality of life, TLC and vet care are in quick order.

Good luck with her.
LofMc
thank you she is my pet I will get her some care

x2 on the avian vet...try to find one if at all possible.

Most vets have very little avian information, so stumble around with general antibiotics and treatments.

Again, good luck with her. I hope for the best.
LofMc

Back
Top Bottom