Hens cage

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sholmz, Oct 5, 2016.

1. sholmz

sholmz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    I have a cage that is 30" x 60" x 20" tall. Is this big enough for 3 young pullets with they start laying?

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Needs to be about double that for 3 chickens, unless they are bantams.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are you talking about using it for a nest box or for a coop? Nest boxes need to be at least 12 x 12" for individual boxes, and some folks build a community box that is much bigger, intended for multiple hens to use at once. If you are talking about using it for a coop: absolute minimum size recommended is 4 sq. ft. per bird. Your cage is 12.5 s.f. While technically, it is big enough in sq. footage, it is not big enough to allow them to perch. I predict that if you try to keep them in that for a coop, you are going to have lots of behavioral issues. More info needed to answer you adequately. Is this to be their main and only living space? Do you have a run?

1 person likes this.
  4. sholmz

sholmz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    No run. I am planning to use this for my breeders. If I put a 12" by 12" nest in it, will it work?

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Wouldn't work here for me.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I certainly wouldn't put a nest inside that small cage, but maybe next to/attached to outside of cage.

BUT I also agree that is a pretty tight space to keep 3 birds confined in full time.
    There's no room for a roost without intruding upon their 'walking around' room.
    What about feeder and waterer...that takes up space too.
    They won't be happy and may be too stressed to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by