Hen's head drenched in blood

Sep 16, 2021
San Ramon, CA
My rooster was probably mating with my hen because her comb tore and her head started bleeding. It was dripping blood and her entire face was soaked and red. We took her into my bathroom and cleaned the blood/disinfected it (with Neosporin since that's the only thing we have). She's not making much noise, she ate a little and pooped twice (both watery hence stress). How do we treat her now? I don't think the bathtub is enough space to house her until she recovers, can I take her into my room or something?
IMG_20220120_122015.jpg

Do you have a close up of the comb? How much is torn? If it isn’t too bad, you could place her in a dog crate back in the coop with the others, and provide food and water. If the rooster is being too rough, I would pen him up.

She has a large comb, and any tears to the comb may bleed when she shakes her head. Corn starch or flour can help to stop bleeding. It should clot on it’s own eventually. Some severely torn combs may need to be docked or trimmed off. Hopefully, not in this case.

She stopped bleeding. She's acting normal now, I think she's laying an egg. I'll probably just wait for her to heal completely, give her a bath to wash the dried blood off and put her back outside.

Back
Top Bottom