Hens laying eggs on roost

aglosser1117

Chirping
Apr 18, 2016
I have 4 2 year old White Leghorns who layer all winter, but now are laying while still on the roost and the eggs,have no shell. What can I do? Feed layer feed and oster she'll available at all times.

Make sure they have oyster shell to snack on. If you do not have them on layer feed, they should be now since, as chickens get older, they need protein and calcium a little more than usual.. Also, every two or three days try giving then scrambled eggs with eggshell crunched up and mixed in. Along with that, try adding parsley and oregano to their diets because it's really good for them - acts as a stimulant.

I have 4 2 year old White Leghorns who layer all winter, but now are laying while still on the roost and the eggs,have no shell. What can I do? Feed layer feed and oster she'll available at all times.
Hi.
frow.gif

Please know that this is a common and usually associated with the reproductive system starting up or shutting down for the season and can happen as a hiccup. As long as you know the nutritional needs are being met and not receiving too many treats, it should not cause alarm. It usually happens during the night and their body doesn't sense it as an egg but a poo because it is soft. Though I have got an occasional one with a shell.

It does not always mean your birds are lacking calcium. The bird will use up the calcium in their keel bone which is then replaced by the oyster shell.

Unless you have more symptoms, IMHO, you've nothing to worry about!
old.gif

Thank you so much! That makes me feel much better. This is my first year to have chickens, so I don't know much about this egg laying business! As long as they're not sick, I don't care about the eggs!

Thank you so much! That makes me feel much better. This is my first year to have chickens, so I don't know much about this egg laying business! As long as they're not sick, I don't care about the eggs!
As long as you are sure their nutritional needs are met.

It happens to me every season and I know their needs are met. My flock is 50+ so I see a lot of things I never did when I had a flock of 3. I have never yet lost a bird to illness.

At their age they should go though a molt at some time (usually late fall but not always) where they shed their old feathers and grow new ones. Many birds will stop laying completely during that time as their bodies need the energy to regrow new feathers. Presuming you don't keep them in artificial light which can interrupt the natural process.

And it happens with many of my young girls who are just coming into lay as well. Sometimes there will be a couple of them. It doesn't usually last more than a week or so per girl, if that.

Just keep your eyes open and if you see something more concerning definitely check farther in to it.

It's nice to have support.
smile.png

Thanks for information. I definitely need professional advice!

I also have 4 Barred rocks and a RIF I raised from checks last spring I don't have any problems with them. Even through the winter I averaged 7 eggs a day from 9 hens without artifial light.

I probably do need to slack off a little on the treats...they're a little spoiled!

Thanks for information. I definitely need professional advice!

I also have 4 Barred rocks and a RIF I raised from checks last spring I don't have any problems with them. Even through the winter I averaged 7 eggs a day from 9 hens without artifial light.

I probably do need to slack off a little on the treats...they're a little spoiled!
Lots of people refer to their birds as spoiled... if it's shortening their life, maybe it isn't a good thing.

Last spring chicks would lay through the winter even without artificial light. Next fall sometime they should molt and not lay eggs for a short while. The reason why we add a couple new girls every year. During that time, some people who use layer will switch to a flock raiser. Because the higher protein helps grow feathers back in faster as they are made from 90% protein. It also helps them to recover faster and start laying eggs again sooner, as reported by several BYC'ers. And leave OS on the side for the girls who are still laying. But long term having lower calcium than layer during molt is recommended because it too much and can (doesn't mean will) cause kidney issues long term. Some never change anything and live happily ever after. (That being said, many BYC'ers swear by DE being a cure all from acne to intestinal worm and mites...and I think they are severely misinformed. So do what makes sense to you).

Since I have all ages and genders, I use flock raiser with OS on the side anyways. One source of my info....

A link to feed info relative to age and purpose of bird...
http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

Make sure your overall protein does not fall below 16% and keep your treats to not more than 10% of the total ration per day. Even things like lettuce have little to no nutrients... so people may think they're giving their birds "good" stuff, when in fact it isn't. Sprouting or growing fodder is a good ideal. Barley for example has 14% protein and the birds love it.

Maybe consider fermenting you feed... check the link in my signature line. People love the consequences, but my fave part is the LESS stinky poo!
sickbyc.gif
Since I feed only fermented... I can take out some standard feed pellets and my chickens go crazy over it, but they are still getting a formulated, complete, and balanced "treat".
wink.png

I have new babies in the house now. Won't be belong before they will join the big girls and Fabio, the man of the chicken house. He is a sweetie!

Thanks again! It is nice to have someone to talk to!

please help
I have 3 lovely chickens
I have made them a lovely secure sizeable run and I have made a new coop with perch and external nesting box.
1. They sleep on a ladder in the run in all weathers
2. They used to lay eggs in box
3. I changed bedding( shavings under perch and straw in box and they now decide to lay by their water feeder!!!!
Any help would be great
I guess it's not a prob really but don't understand!!!

Back
Top Bottom