Hens or Roosters??

Gamecock

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Columbia Northeast SC
When we purchased ours chicks at almost 2 weeks old, we were told that they were 99% positive we were getting 4 hens, now they are 10 wks old and one of them is looking more like a rooster, the tail is getting longer and swooping over and the chick is a little larger than the others, is there a way to know for sure before the crowing starts? I've gotten attached now and not sure I could give him (?) up.

The comb is usually the best indication but some breeds are just hard to tell. The comb on roos will usually turn red by the time they are a couple months old and often be bigger than the pullet chicks. Single combs are easier to compare than flatter types of comb. It doesn't work on all breeds though. I have some crosses that their combs don't get redder or larger until both genders are fully mature and ready to reproduce. They've really been annoying me because after raising 5 more hatches this year I still can't tell before they are 5months old and I'm used to my japanese bantams that I can tell by 4weeks which are roos. Roos will also eventually begin to feather different but that's harder to compare until you have some experience. Pullet chicks tend to feather faster but again that's hard to compare and not always true.

I won't guess at it. Can you change that pic for a profile, just a bit closer? Do I understand that you have 4 chickens only? And if that is a roo, you would have 3 pullets? Depending on the size of your family, that might be okay. Did you get them at your local ag store? I got a raw deal on my americanas. I bought 5 pullets and I'm down to 3, because 3 were pullets and 2 were supper. Stinks to get straight run for pullet prices.

Last edited:
If it is true, I may have two roos and two hens,
I guess her method of determining sexes was only 50%
I got them from a chicken farmer that raises chickens, he had several breeds and I wanted the dominickers.He said if I
end up with a roo, I could bring him back but it will be hard now, I have bonded and I don't want to take them back. The neighbors may just have to deal with it.
44437_001.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom