Hens Plucking Rooster

Tinabuglaw

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
I saw a short post addressing this issue, I guess I just want more detail. So I got my first rooster who, when introduced to my 12 hens, seemed to be quite the gentleman. I was able to integrate the entire flock instead of segregating the old from the new.

One thing I noticed is that the hens seem to be abusing him at times, plucking the feathers out of his neck and pecking at his gobble. They will just come up to him and pull a feather out of his neck. He does nothing - he just lets them do it. Now he has a small area that's been plucked. We have had him for about 3 days now and they may have reduced the frequency of this harassment, but I can't be sure. Is it possible that they were curious of him when they met him and trying to test their boundaries? What are some things I can do to make them stop? One of the things that they are doing more of is what appears to be kissing his beak. I don't think that's a bad thing but I figured I might as well mention it as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220520-010003_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-010003_Video Player.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20220519-205756_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-205756_Video Player.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220517_222725.jpg
    20220517_222725.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
They're actually not harassing him, they're grooming him. That's why it doesn't seem to bother him.

Not sure if there's any actual fix other than separating him from the girls... guess you could try something like Pick-no-more lotion but it'd need to be applied regularly, and as it tastes bitter you need to keep it out of his mouth.

I saw a short post addressing this issue, I guess I just want more detail. So I got my first rooster who, when introduced to my 12 hens, seemed to be quite the gentleman. I was able to integrate the entire flock instead of segregating the old from the new.

One thing I noticed is that the hens seem to be abusing him at times, plucking the feathers out of his neck and pecking at his gobble. They will just come up to him and pull a feather out of his neck. He does nothing - he just lets them do it. Now he has a small area that's been plucked. We have had him for about 3 days now and they may have reduced the frequency of this harassment, but I can't be sure. Is it possible that they were curious of him when they met him and trying to test their boundaries? What are some things I can do to make them stop? One of the things that they are doing more of is what appears to be kissing his beak. I don't think that's a bad thing but I figured I might as well mention it as well.
You have good ladies taking care of your man lol the dont want a messed up guy not looking right so there helping him out ;)

Thanks everybody for your replies! I'm so happy, I have so many crazy things going on right now in the last thing I needed was a problem with my rooster! He is absolutely regal and beautiful and so kind, he's good with me and the kids as well so I certainly want him to work out here and I'm glad they love him, I can't see how they wouldn't :)

They're actually not harassing him, they're grooming him. That's why it doesn't seem to bother him.

Not sure if there's any actual fix other than separating him from the girls... guess you could try something like Pick-no-more lotion but it'd need to be applied regularly, and as it tastes bitter you need to keep it out of his mouth.
One of my hens thinks that pick no more lotion is absolutely delicious 🤦‍♀️

So glad you found such a great rooster OP.

Back
Top Bottom