Her crop is super hard

If this chick has a rock hard crop, and the chick is extending its neck and gaping its beak, those are symptoms of an impacted crop. It's not unusual for a small chick to overwhelm their crop with food, and if they've been pigging out on treats without chick grit, that's almost guaranteed to impact the crop.

Even if the crop is not impacted, a bit of oil will not hurt at all. Give a half teaspoon of coconut oil in its solid form, breaking off tiny bits and slipping them into the beak, and massage the crop very gently to disperse the oil. Massage until you feel the mass begin to break up. Don't massage any higher than the middle of the crop or she could aspirate liquid from the crop.
Can I use extra virgin oil ? Or canola oil ?? those are the only oils I have

Yes. Those will do just fine. Be very careful to place a drop at a time in the right side of the beak and let her swallow. It may take a while to get a half teaspoon down her.

Do chicks know when to stop eating ?? Or do I take the food away for the night so they stop?
If you are using a heat lamp the chicks will continue to eat through the night just as they do during the day. The light cycle remains the same. If you can, the best method for keeping chicks warm is the mama heat pad system. Details can be found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-picture-heavy-update.956958/#post-14882145.
The chicks get on to a day/night cycle and sleep through the night without constantly eating.
I think you could probably use some olive oil. The benefit of the coconut oil is that it is solid and the chicks seem to love it. I dont know how she will take to the olive oil but try it anyway.

image.jpg
Yes. Those will do just fine. Be very careful to place a drop at a time in the right side of the beak and let her swallow. It may take a while to get a half teaspoon down her.
should I just let them sleep and them. Tomorrow? and also I turned off the heat lamp for a little to cool them down is that ok?

View attachment 1390403
should I just let them sleep and them. Tomorrow? and also I turned off the heat lamp for a little to cool them down is that ok?
They are very small to be without a heat source. Maybe take the food away for the night. Put the heat lamp back on them. Try giving your chick the oil treatment per azygous' instructions and let her be for the night. Post back in the morning, OK?

They are very small to be without a heat source. Maybe take the food away for the night. Put the heat lamp back on them. Try giving your chick the oil treatment per azygous' instructions and let her be for the night. Post back in the morning, OK?
Thank you so much !

View attachment 1390403
Is this your first rodeo with baby chicks? I had my first three weeks ago. You sound like me! I was honestly having a panic attack a couple different times. These people here know what they are talking about. Try not to worry.
Hell, you know more than I do. What's the crop?

Back
Top Bottom