Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Psue: Thanks, I certainly enjoy them.

Marty....Goose pedophile....LMAO...
lau.gif

Seriously though....the male's bill is more substantial and looks wider when viewed from the top of the head looking downward. Also, they tend to be a bit straighter and tad bit longer. I will see if I can get a close-up of the two younger ones. As to the legs, the males seem a bit thicker from early on, but end up about the same, maybe a bit longer (mine are all a bit taller than the ladies). Also, on this pair, they are feathering out at a different rate: The female seems to be ahead of the little guy.

Celtic: No, thank you for sending people my way. The third photo of the geese from Kawonu's stock: Two of those are the little bitty ones I got from you. The third is one of the goslings I got from the second set of eggs I got from him (Griffin and another one hatched....the third died).
Thanks for the kind words about Caboosh. Out of the four oldest I got from my pair, three are nicely marked with the single lobe. The fourth has too much buff in my opinion, but still quite a nice goose. Overall, I would say that the $80 I spent to buy their parents was a complete steal.

Here are close-up photos of the oldest geese....that I hatched from my original pair's eggs this January.

Church:

Tucker:

Caboosh:

Donut (the one I think has too much Buff....my second female):

Just lovely. Tucker and Caboosh both have nice necks and heads with the white breaking the buff pattern. I like churches side profile and his saddle is nice too. I agree on your thoughts of donut having too much buff.

It's very interesting how the different breeds have characteristics to visually tell genders apart. Wish the Sebbies were that straight forward. :lol: I am noticing a difference between the geese and gander in the buff dewlap flock in height and legs.

Thanks Celtic and Nana.

Yes, they love their ponds. We have two and unless it is breeding season, we leave the gate open for them to go where they please.They spend the morning in the large one, afternoon in the smaller one, and come back to the big one in the evening. Right now they have made their way to the back of the property and are grazing under the peach trees.

Yesterday, I had a "jailbreak" and the turkeys were out too. I wish I could have gotten to the camera in time. All 24 ducks, 16 geese, 16 turkeys, and a bunch of chickens were at the far end of the pasture. Suddenly, the geese initiated "Take-Off" and began to running while furiously flapping their wings "flying" toward the pond (two of the geese and a few of the ducks can get off the ground a bit).

So, then all the other critters decided they had better do the same thing too. Next thing I knew I had over 50 birds running straight for me....lol. It was quite the sight.
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom