Heres Happy again,a lil older...Hen or Roo?

Iloveourbabychick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Hickory,NC
Happy is now a a month and 2 days old.Do hens clean themselves more then roosters? Happy cleans herself all the time.She takes pride in her feathers.So here she is.A bit bigger.More hen or roo to you?I know you guys are probably gonna say roo but I'm giving this another shot.We are looking into chicken diapers.Shes gonna be our house chicken
smile.png
And she will be happy.No matter what she is.

Picture023.jpg

Picture062.jpg

HAPPY.jpg

With that comb and those wattles, I would say cockerel. I have a BLW that is 8 wks. old now and doesn't have the slightest amount of color to her comb or wattles yet. I truly believe that Happy is a roo.

BLRW seem to be tough to sex when young. I would guess your's is a cockerel, but there is hope for pullet from reading various posts. Part of the problem seems to be that many of us only have one of them. It is so much easier to sex chickens when you have more than one and they look different.

Well yours just gave me a ton of hope for mine being girls
clap.gif
I have 3 that are older and look like girls compared to HIM

I have some BLRW the same age as yours and none of mine have that much comb and wattle development.

I recently learned from this website that BLRW have different markings on their backs: laced for girls and streaky for boys. Check out the bottom of this page https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=60268. Yours appears to have the streaky look, though it would be easier to tell from top-view photo. It's easier for me to tell because I have some of each gender to compare to each other.

Back
Top Bottom