Here's one of the freaks!

The Egg Bandit

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Hi! Newbie here. I'm raising three hatches at present, and this last batch had some different colors. So I'm wondering if any of y'all can help me figure out what breed the parents might be, then maybe I can figure out who created the babies I've got.

First off, I know I have two RIR hens. And 9 GLWs of varying color quality. I've been told by the person who gave me the birds that my other hen is a White Phoenix, and that one of my roos is also a white Phoenix. No idea on what the black roo might be.

Please help!

First the black roo:
46770_02_24_2010_004_small.jpg

Then the white roo:
46770_02_24_2010_002_small.jpg

Then the white hen and the white roo:
46770_02_24_2010_003_small.jpg

Then all three:
46770_02_24_2010_001_small.jpg

Some chicks in the last hatch (Feb. 22) have dark grey, almost black, legs. None of my adults have black or grey legs. All the hens have yellow legs, and both the roos have pinkish white legs.

And the freak:
46770_02_24_2010_007_small.jpg

Where do black legs come from?

Last edited:
Your white rooster is not a phoenix. He's got the chest coloring of a silver spangled hamburg (but wrong comb) and the barring like a BR (and correct comb) so maybe a cross of the 2? I'm totally guessing here.

No idea on the black rooster. But they all are gorgeous.

HappyMtn - thanks! I do recall the lady I got them from said something about "Partridge" and "Cornish" and "Rock" while I was catching the girls. I wish I'd paid more attention, but I was just focused on catching them free chickens
wink.png
Here's another pic of one of the GLWs:
46770_britney_small.jpg

And one of a group:
46770_black_bart_with_some_of_the_ladies.jpg

Thanks new2chooks! I think they are beautiful too, but then I'm not an impartial judge, ya know!
wink.png

I was thinking silver spangled hamburg myself for the white roo (I had a few hens ten years ago, but no roos). But I can't find decent pictures online. I was also thinking Silver Leghorn. He's still young (maybe a year old), so I don't know how long his hackle feathers and tailfeathers will get. He was undernourished when I got him too. The pics I've posted of him are recent, tho.

Wow they're beautiful! They may be mutts, but mutts are the most beautiful and surprising ones anyway!
love.gif
When you hatch them out, you never know what you might get.
pop.gif

Gorgeous feathering on all of them!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom