Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Walt, Did you help out on the first Standard of Perfection.
th.gif

Walt, Did you help out on the first Standard of Perfection.

Yes.........

The people that don't like it should post in other threads. Bob set this up as a SOP related thread. Generally the folks that don't like the SOP have no idea what it is about or anything about it for that matter. Putting you hands on a chicken is an excellent idea, but you have to know what you are looking for. There are plenty of other threads on BYC to state your opinions about how you think a chicken should be put together...lots of meat threads, Project threads etc....

w.

Last edited:
BYC is a bigger place than many folks sometimes realize. This is a very large place with a diverse membership, including those just starting out, to experienced homesteaders, to award winning Master Breeders, to American Poultry Association judges and officers who all contribute to make the BYC the dynamic community that it is.

If a thread, such as this one, is launched with the opening "mission statement" that includes references to the APA and to the Standard of Perfection and is begun in the forum for Breeds, Genetics and Showing, then it would be best for all participants to realize that is the intent and focus of the thread.

If adherence to the breed Standards as determined by the APA is not of any interest to you or showing just isn't your cup of tea, then please, we invite you to look elsewhere on BYC to get involved. Your constructive participation is highly welcomed. There are enormous choices available. Thank you.

BYC Mod Team

Quote:
Walt, you know what I think about the SOP, I open the first 40 pages almost every day. No way anyone can raise APA type fowl without having a SOP to go through.
Yup, when I was breeding horses, I read the "sop" every day and went to all the local keurings with high quality judges. Learn. Learn. Learn. Perfection was always out of reach . . . . moving closer was a thrill.

Now I'm hoping DH looks at my wish list THIS year, and doesn't buy another set of china!! Doesn't he know I'm in to chickens not china? Maybe a bigger note, ok, being a man maybe I need to be point blank.

[COLOR=333333]BYC is a bigger place than many folks sometimes realize. This is a very large place with a diverse membership, including those just starting out, to experienced homesteaders, to award winning Master Breeders, to American Poultry Association judges and officers who all contribute to make the BYC the dynamic community that it is.

If a thread, such as this one, is launched with the opening "mission statement" that includes references to the APA and to the Standard of Perfection and is begun in the forum for[COLOR=0000FF] Breeds, Genetics and Showing,[/COLOR] then it would be best for all participants to realize that is the intent and focus of the thread. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]
If adherence to the breed Standards as determined by the APA is not of any interest to you or showing just isn't your cup of tea, then please, we invite you to look elsewhere on BYC to get involved. Your constructive participation is highly welcomed. There are enormous choices available. Thank you.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]BYC Mod Team[/COLOR]
Well said Fred. Even though I am not breeding or showing YET.... future.... or an experienced chicken keeper, I fully understand this statement and agree! To those who do not want to do this or learn about it prior to beginning (best way) I add to the suggestion to find a thread that is "down your alley" and not flame on a thread intended to teach or support those WANTING to follow it. Yes read to learn, ask a question to understand, but don't down the thread or take it off course. Some of us want to read and learn and not be confused by straying disagreements. That is like reading a thread on milk cows management and saying one should do it by meat management methods and you will be fine!!! Also how people wanting RIR end up with production hens like I did.

When I talk to new people I always suggest they look for books/references from the 1800's-1900's. Again your hands are the best tool you can have and a breeder that can use. And an SOP is no substitution.

The breeders on this thread also cite to reference material from the late 19th - early 20th century. A period of chicken keeping that I want to learn more about. Do you have any specific materials in mind that you would recommend.

Mark
The bold print is call ducks previous post line.

Mark was just referencing it, in case some just tuned in here at this spot.J/S

good day

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom