Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Thanks Jeff, I can't seem to quote a segment of a post properly.
It took me a few times to figure me out a way to go about it too, you can't paste it in your caption box or it will look as if you posted it. go to the top of your caption box click there the cursor will be at the outside edge of the (Quote:) then hit enter a couple of times this will move the box down and then you can click and paste above your post box. Its simple (to me) I don't know squat about these contraptions so everyday is a new learning experience for me on them LOL

Jeff

Walt, Did you help out on the first Standard of Perfection.
hide.gif

Well, well, well...even though Walt's age is mature, he is still much more handsome than many man who are half his age!! Let's all hope that; when we reach mature age, we will have the fortune of knowing half as much as he does!

Lual

I didn't realize how "on-board" my wife was with our chicken adventure. When Bob put us in contact with Marvin Stukel, he was headed our direction and volunteered to bring a White Rock trio within an hours drive for us. Now, his trip got cancelled, but he's going to the Tucson Poultry Show in a couple of weeks and asked if we'd be there. I ran it by my wife, and she said let's go. It's a 7 hour, 500 mile drive(one-way) to get chickens. I figure why not? We can talk chicken hands-on with Marvin and look at lots of others while we're there.

By the way, Marvin has upped the ante. I don't know why, but he said he would sell(give) us 4 pair at the original price of $50. That's about 1/3 the price of hatchery juveniles.

Anyway, if I get to meet with Marvin in person, what questions should I be asking? We spent a while on the phone the other day, so I have some background info.

He's had his White Rock line for 25 yrs. Bred in 2 unrelated WR hens 15 yrs ago. Doesn't think new blood needs to be added. Rotational pen breeding program. Toe punches chicks by pen. This year, he hatched about 40-50 WR's(this is normal). Resulted in 9 hens, the rest were cockerels. They are not at POL yet.

I do not know who he got his original WR's from.

I don't want to insult him by asking only questions about improving faults, so a few suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
colburg

I didn't realize how "on-board" my wife was with our chicken adventure. When Bob put us in contact with Marvin Stukel, he was headed our direction and volunteered to bring a White Rock trio within an hours drive for us. Now, his trip got cancelled, but he's going to the Tucson Poultry Show in a couple of weeks and asked if we'd be there. I ran it by my wife, and she said let's go. It's a 7 hour, 500 mile drive(one-way) to get chickens. I figure why not? We can talk chicken hands-on with Marvin and look at lots of others while we're there.

By the way, Marvin has upped the ante. I don't know why, but he said he would sell(give) us 4 pair at the original price of $50. That's about 1/3 the price of hatchery juveniles.

Anyway, if I get to meet with Marvin in person, what questions should I be asking? We spent a while on the phone the other day, so I have some background info.

He's had his White Rock line for 25 yrs. Bred in 2 unrelated WR hens 15 yrs ago. Doesn't think new blood needs to be added. Rotational pen breeding program. Toe punches chicks by pen. This year, he hatched about 40-50 WR's(this is normal). Resulted in 9 hens, the rest were cockerels. They are not at POL yet.

I do not know who he got his original WR's from.

I don't want to insult him by asking only questions about improving faults, so a few suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
colburg
You might ask questions on how to MAINTAIN as this is as hard as improving on faults. Perhaps ask what preventative or treatments or methods he uses to keep the flock healthy: which wormers if any, or homeopathic treatments for internal or external parasites. And consider using the same methods.

Perhaps ask how to set up breeding pens with the birds you get from him: which cckl to which pullet.

Bring a way to ID each bird, perhaps a different colored leg band for each so you know which bird he is talking about; in my sheep after 20 year, I had many look alikes and needed ear tag numbers to know which was mother and which was daughter or neice.

Write everything down. Or record it.

Back
Top Bottom