Anjan

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2017
I am popularly called as Uncle Mel live in Winter Garden Florida. I just got an opportunity to use 1 acre land for free from my daughter. I have presently planted 20 banana plants, 5 mango plants and some vegetables. I am thinking of raising chicken to get rid of insects and egg production. I am having major problem with squash bugs infestation.

Hi Anjan and welcome to BYC. I understand that guinea fowl are excellent bug-eaters - they may be something else to consider.

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

Pork Pie

Hello Anjan. Welcome to BYC! There is tons of info here and very good people to help you on your journey as a new chicken owner. :)

If you want to get the most out of BYC, I suggest you do the following:
  • For general education, spend some time browsing the Articles link above and possibly the Learning Center. You will find excellent information for both newbies and long-time chicken owners there.
  • When you have specific questions, most of the time a quick search will come up with the answers.
  • If you don't find anything useful that way, post your question in an appropriate sub-forum. People here are very helpful and will answer your question even it has been asked 100 times before.
Enjoy your time here.

:welcome

Hi Uncle Mel, it's nice to have you here!

We used to have a place in north FL with a huge garden and I know the damage all those squash bugs can do. Our chickens didn't seem to be as interested in the squash bugs as they were our vegetables (once they cleared an 8'x8' patch of kale in about 20 minutes). I agree with the above suggestion, guineas may be better for pest control...I've never raised guineas, so don't know if your garden would be a temptation to them though.

Best of luck to you!

:welcome

Hi Uncle Mel, it's nice to have you here!

We used to have a place in north FL with a huge garden and I know the damage all those squash bugs can do. Our chickens didn't seem to be as interested in the squash bugs as they were our vegetables (once they cleared an 8'x8' patch of kale in about 20 minutes). I agree with the above suggestion, guineas may be better for pest control...I've never raised guineas, so don't know if your garden would be a temptation to them though.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks for your time and response i tried everything to get rid of squash bugs and gave up, they like all creepers like mater melon, pumpkin etc.

I am popularly called as Uncle Mel live in Winter Garden Florida. I just got an opportunity to use 1 acre land for free from my daughter. I have presently planted 20 banana plants, 5 mango plants and some vegetables. I am thinking of raising chicken to get rid of insects and egg production. I am having major problem with squash bugs infestation.

Hey there Uncle Mel great to have you join us other old folk lots yo chat about read learn answer or just say HEY to everyone that joins

Hi Anjan. I too live in Florida. Welcome!
my welcome.gif

Back
Top Bottom