Hey there! new to the site, any Urban backyard farmers too?

I am an avid gardener that lives in a downtown area, in a suburb south of Dayton, Ohio. Recently found out that homeowners can have up to four chickens on their property. So this girl is going to research research research on the best egg layers, when and how to buy them, and all things chickens! I would love to hear from any other people living in a downtown community that owns chickens and also gardens. My lot is a double lot, about less than half an acre.
The livestock conservancy mentions Brahmas as good winter egg layers. Oh, and welcome to BYC!:frow Since you are in OH you might like the Buckeye's too! There is a decent hatchery 150 miles away in Polk, OH. It is Meyers Hatchery or some similar name. https://meyerhatchery.com/index.html if you are willing to do a pickup I betcha they would hatchout whatever you are requesting. they show Brahma for Dec 16 hatchout 3 color patterns, and Buckeyes plus numerous other breeds.
Here:

Attachments

• pickachicken.pdf
    382.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have a mix of diff breed in my flock Bluebells,Gold And Silver Wyandotte’s, RIR,Americana Barred Rock And 3 Leghorns The Bluebells 2nd And by far best layers are the Leghorns and researching the Bluebells are a leghorn Cross So That explained 2nd Leghorns White Eggs Bluebells a pretty Olive an blue eggs Oh I have some sex links too

Last edited:
Glad your here! You should pick up a lot of facts here! :hugs:woot
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 12.24.47 PM.png

I am an avid gardener that lives in a downtown area, in a suburb south of Dayton, Ohio. Recently found out that homeowners can have up to four chickens on their property. So this girl is going to research research research on the best egg layers, when and how to buy them, and all things chickens! I would love to hear from any other people living in a downtown community that owns chickens and also gardens. My lot is a double lot, about less than half an acre.
Hi Leah, welcome to the group! I'm kinda new too, but I've learned a lot from fellow BackYard Chicken folks here, and I'm sure you will, too. :)

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Back
Top Bottom