Hi I'm Tarina and I am a new chicken mom

Yes, get the Safeguard, too. Worming and treating for coccidia parasites can safely be done together.

Glad you can get the Corid. @Eggcessive gave you the instructions for administering Safeguard. Here is what to do with the Corid, and I suggest you treat all of your chickens with both. Mix up one gallon of water with two teaspoons liquid Corid mixed in. Mix fresh daily. (Cut down the proportions if you have a very small flock.) Give them this for five straight days. Stop it for one week, and do five more days of Corid in the drinking water.

In addition to that, for any sick or lethargic chickens, you will give the drench dose for three straight days. You will need a slender oral syringe. For a regular size chicken, the dose is .5ml undiluted Corid directly into the beak once a day for three days. Do it like this. Be sure to insert the syringe on the right side of the mouth as the esophagus leading to the crop is on the right side of the throat. (Chicken's right side.) This way you avoid risk of it going into the airway which is right behind the tongue in the center of the throat.View attachment 3676204
I just added 3 oz to 1 pint of water mixed and then gave him 10m as it said on the bottle. Now I'm confused. So I ca. Give 5ml undiluted 1 x daily for 3 days? Sorry I'm so slow trying to save him and yes plan on giving this to all the chickens

Follow our instructions. The bottle instructions may be for other larger animals. No harm done. Corid is just a vitamin blocker, not a real medicine. Be sure you aren't giving any extra vitamins during the period you are treating with Corid water.

Follow our instructions. The bottle instructions may be for other larger animals. No harm done. Corid is just a vitamin blocker, not a real medicine. Be sure you aren't giving any extra vitamins during the period you are treating with Corid water.
Phew. Thank you for that. No I have emptied all the water containers on the property and added the 2 tsp to each gal. I'll do this once every day for 5 days then stop. I'm also giving roo here the oral dose for three days and then I'll just keep it in his water for 2 more days then break see how he does. Aside from this there is nothing else to do for him right? Just want to know what other options if any, I don't want him to suffer either so I'll do what has to be done if no improvement and not other options. Thank you al for your help

Glad that you started the Corid. Make sure to give the rooster the treated water as well as the once a day boost of undiluted. If you mix a smaller amount for him, such as a quart, just put in 1/2 per quart. He needs that in addition to his daily drench dose. He sounds very sick, so you will need to keep him in a warm room.

Glad that you started the Corid. Make sure to give the rooster the treated water as well as the once a day boost of undiluted. If you mix a smaller amount for him, such as a quart, just put in 1/2 per quart. He needs that in addition to his daily drench dose. He sounds very sick, so you will need to keep him in a warm room.
Thank you, he passed about 2 hours ago I am still treating and watching the rest of the flock closely and will continue any necessary treatments. I also notified the people I bough the roo and 5 others from because I think they have a sick flock. I won't be buying from them again. I really appreciate all the help. This has been the most supportive group I've come across ❤️

If the rooster died from coccidiosis, it's not necessarily the fault of the original flock owner. In the case of coccidia, there are nine different strains found in soils, and some strains occur here and not there. When a chicken is put on new soil, the coccidia in that locale may not be the same as the strain the chicken has become resistant to.

The incubation period is five to seven days for coccidia infection. When ever you import new chickens, this is one of the purposes of quarantine, so you can observe and treat if they happen to get sick. You can also use a preventative round of Corid at a lower dose for a new chicken to help them develop resistance.

Sorry for your loss. It is possible to look for a cause of death with your state vet doing a necropsy on his body. The body has to be kept cold on ice in a cooler (do not freeze,) and ship it or take it in on Monday.

If the rooster died from coccidiosis, it's not necessarily the fault of the original flock owner. In the case of coccidia, there are nine different strains found in soils, and some strains occur here and not there. When a chicken is put on new soil, the coccidia in that locale may not be the same as the strain the chicken has become resistant to.

The incubation period is five to seven days for coccidia infection. When ever you import new chickens, this is one of the purposes of quarantine, so you can observe and treat if they happen to get sick. You can also use a preventative round of Corid at a lower dose for a new chicken to help them develop resistance.
I thought of that too, however, the first three I got, the two hens and the roo that died, the roo never crowed in the 17 days I had him and all three have/had runny poops since day one. I have had them seperated from my original two, they also seemed to stay away from them on their own. Since I am new to this I did not catch it as soon as I should have. Now I know and I have all that I need to keep all my chickens safe and healthy.

Sorry for your loss. It is possible to look for a cause of death with your state vet doing a necropsy on his body. The body has to be kept cold on ice in a cooler (do not freeze,) and ship it or take it in on Monday.
Thank you, if I lose anymore I will keep that in mind. I did not know this information and we have since burried the Roo. It was really hard on me to find him and it took all I had to get it all cleaned up and bury him. I will call around and see who can do that should another one die.

Back
Top Bottom