Hi my silkie chicken is laying on her side with her neck turned around toward her back...

justakid96

In the Brooder
May 22, 2023
Okay so while outside i noticed the chicken might have been attacked by our lone rooster...

This is the best picture i could take but other observations:

Wing seems fine i saw her on her back flapping both of them...
her eyes are closed
i can rotate her to stand up but she quickly lays down and wants to tilt her head to the back...

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
She has wry neck, silkies are prone to it. Its a vitamin deficiency. Give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, any brand from the grocery store. Pull down on her wattle to open her beak and she'll swallow them.

She has wry neck, silkies are prone to it. Its a vitamin deficiency. Give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, any brand from the grocery store. Pull down on her wattle to open her beak and she'll swallow them.
hmm, do i need to crush up the 400 iu vitamin e pill and B complex tablet and combine with her food?

How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Wry neck can be caused by a head or neck injury, vitamin E deficiency, and is seen in some diseases including Mareks and some others. She could have been injured or fallen. I would prop her up on towels, or consider making her a chicken sling. Here are some examples, especially posts 5, 11-13:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom