High Desert, California!!

Poultry Processing Party - February 23, 11 AM to mid-afternoon some time. Woo-hoo! OK, here we go again. My goal is to include a bunch of us in a mutual learning curve on chicken processing. This is Party #2. Here's the deal.

1. I can host a half-dozen or so people (families are just fine) to process their chickens. (We did five birds last time in an hour and a half, but time wasn't important to us. Learning was the big thing for us.)

2. Last time, we had a few chickens that were dropped off/donated a few days ahead of time so I pre-processed, then bbq'd for a post-process feast. Remember, you don't eat the chickens you process that day until they've spent a couple days in the fridge aging.

3. If you tell me ahead of time, we can meet in town if you want a chicken done ahead of time. I can do a couple so that we can put them on the bbq for a tasting party afterwards!

4. BOY, DOES age make a difference in bird eatability. I find that 5-6 months seems to be the best in terms of tenderness, especially in the dark meat. You will need to bring an ice chest with ice to bring home the birds you bring to process. If you own a sharp kitchen knife, feel free to bring it. I have some, and try to do a little sharpening.

5. SO IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, please pm me, so I can keep track of who is coming and give you directions. We had a lot of fun the first time, and I was sooo nervous to host. I'm no expert at this. I've processed less than 20 birds, but I feel pretty comfortable doing it. I REALLY need an RSVP, so that I don't get overwhelmed by this. More of a "me nerves" thing.

Richard in Neenach (I'm also over on the California Poultry People on FB, which is where this started. I believe three have already confirmed for this party.)
Oh I wanna come!! I live in Acton...been to antelope acres and would love to learn to process my own birds....been hatching my own eggs so on to the next step.
big_smile.png

Yay, really local folks!

In case you didn't know about it, there is a fun charity Bake Sale & Farmer's Market coming up on 3/3/13 at Vincent Hill Restaurant & Saloon. set up costs for the Annual Hogs & Horses Charity Poker Ride.

I will be donating some hatching eggs among other things, and there will be a lot of great stuff for sale with all proceeds going towards set up costs for the annual Hogs & Horses Charity Poker Ride.

Yay, really local folks!

In case you didn't know about it, there is a fun charity Bake Sale & Farmer's Market coming up on 3/3/13 at Vincent Hill Restaurant & Saloon. set up costs for the Annual Hogs & Horses Charity Poker Ride.

I will be donating some hatching eggs among other things, and there will be a lot of great stuff for sale with all proceeds going towards set up costs for the annual Hogs & Horses Charity Poker Ride.

I didn't know..thanks!! looks like fun...what do I have to do?

I didn't know..thanks!! looks like fun...what do I have to do?

Vincent Hill Station
Restaurant & Saloon
on 3/3/13 at 2:00 PM

Come on down/up and buy some fattening stuff for charity (lol), and bring friends!

And if you want to donate anything to be sold, either show up a little early (starts at 2:pM) or PM me so I can arrange for a volunteer to pick up. We get all sorts of great stuff donated for the sale.

Last year we had everything from pies, jerky, herbs, fresh eggs, hand made soap, even water lily starts for the pond.

Please feel free to share the flyer and info.

OK, looks like the 2nd Poultry Processing Party is full! We have 2 BYC and 3 CPP/FB folks coming out with families. It will be a lot of fun. Be sure you bring an ice chest with ice in it to bring home your cleaned birds!

Like I say, I'd like to do this every couple months or so. It will give me more experience in processing birds (Lord knows I can use it), and will give more of us desert rats a chance to get to know each other and families.

Richard

Looks like there's an open mike as well. Any Poultry Pickers out there? My two big other passions besides the birds are the stars and the guitar.

I'll have to see if we'll be around that weekend.

RIchard

Yay, really local folks!

Thank you, SoCal Dorklings and Perchie Girl. Your help is appreciated. I will look at the DIY thread and check the feed store. It looks like we will be digging for a new water line into the yard to avoid using a hose.

Back
Top Bottom