hmmm what is that i hear? peeping? could it be... PICS!! more updates!

slightly sad news. one egg we expected to hatch with the others didnt. i waited and waited and finally candled it to see if there was movement. i didnt see any. so i "pipped" it and shined the light into it to look closer. a fully formed chick seemingly suffocated. this is the first fully developed loss ive had so far. i believe it got shrink wrapped as ive seen it called on here. on a lighter note the 6th pipper is still looking good. hasnt zipped yet.

the other 5 that hatched are doing great! i am teaching them how to eat. its so funny to watch! i tap on the food or the box they are in and they come running! i love it!

latest happenings in my hatching world! we have 6 chicks now, the last one i had to hatch out because it couldnt and so far its doing well. this incident was my fault because i didnt have all the water trays full and it was getting shrink wrapped. now i have a 7th one pipping and i hope it hatches on its own without help. i dont like doing it because i hate losing them. ive lost one in "egg utero" already. anyhow i am watching everyone closely and will update as things happen!

Sounds like it's going good for you. I'm so sorry about the little one that didn't make it:(

How are you planning to brood all of these babies with such a spread out hatching time? I try to keep it down to 1 hatch a week, so I don't have more than 1 group per week.

very carefully! i take them out when they hatch and dry them myself. they then go to a holding pen with others. i only open to turn the other eggs and remove ones that have hatched. so far everything has gone well. this is my first big hatch so im learning as i go.

Have you ever tried to integrate new babies with babies that are older? I'm only asking because it has been my experience that even a few days difference in age leads to bullying, pecking and trampling issues. I've had to seperate a day old LF chick from 3 day old bantams, because they were going to peck it to death
sad.png
I'm not trying to be nosy, I just wanted to make sure you knew it could be an issue...

new update this morning! i have 4 more hatching at the same time today! i already have 7 sucessful hatches! all 7 were silkies. the 4 hatching now is a mix of JG's silkie and leghorn i believe. not mixed breeds but mixed hatch lol. better be clear on that lol.
wee.gif

edited to give a more accurate count. i have 8 chicken eggs hatching and some quail eggs hatching! will post pics of these babies if anyone wants to see them!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom