Hollow chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mollymo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. mollymo

mollymo New Egg

Oct 10, 2016
    Something is attack chicken. two chicken have been gutted but otherwise intact including feathers what could it be

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mollymo, and :welcome! Great to have you with us but sorry it is under these circumstances. :(. Here is a BYC link to the various chicken predators - including method of kill. Might read up and see what critter matches what's happening with yours. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock
    And here is a link to the BYC Predator & Pest Forum. You might post there for some ideas as well. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests
    Hope you find and deal with the culprit. Best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us, although I'm sorry that it is not in happier circumstances. Redsoxs has given you some great links that will hopefully help you out.

Best wishes
    CT

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so sorry you have lost chickens, I am sure we have all been in that boat at some point or another. I know I have. :hugs redsox gave you some great links to check out, so I will just say hello, and good luck finding the culprit! See if you can buy or borrow a game cam from someone.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Redsox gave you some good advice.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear of your losses, maybe some form of stronger coop/run is in order? Hope you figure out soon what is happening so it will stop.

Good luck to you!

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

8. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Get a cage trap set with some dog food for bait. What ever it is, it will be back.
    If you dont have the means or ability to kill whatever it is, hire a critter control company.

Do you know how it got to the birds? Were they free ranging or in their run/coop?

9. Nineplus5

Nineplus5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Was it a rat? Got them while they were sleeping?

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A possum got them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by