Home From Farmers Market - Second Trip :O)

I'm not sending out hatching eggs the last two weeks in December so maybe I'll keep those and hatch me some new layers for spring. I didn't want to do the chick thing all winter long, but I may just have to if I want to keep this hatching/eating egg thing going.

I didn't want to do the chick thing all winter long, but I may just have to if I want to keep this hatching/eating egg thing going.

gig.gif
and you were thinking of getting rid of some
lau.gif
gig.gif

I did sell three to rooster-red. One was my beautiful very dark RIR pullet, Scarlett. I just couldn't see her being a plain-old egglayer. She needed to reproduce and I didn't have a RIR rooster. I sold my two Easter Egger/Barred Rock cross pullets that I think Lee is enjoying alot, too. I was going to sell a few more but I got a second wind and felt better. Hey, Lee, Scarlett's sister hasn't been the same since she left! She has no one to pal around with and seems sad. Remember Meg, the RIR/Buff Orp cross? She's molting and has quit laying so she looks even sadder now. I almost wish I'd let her go with Scarlett.

What I need is more of the ones I have roosters for, the Barred Rocks and Blue Orps.. maybe a couple more Ameraucanas, but I still may sell Scout and Silver in the spring. My original flock, all from Ideal Poultry, and consisting of RIRs, Buff Orps, SLWs and two Barred Rock girls will be two years old soon. I haven't lost any of them so far, but my luck may just run out. As they go, I only want Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons in the laying flock and possibly an Ameraucana or three, plus Suede's breeding harem and I'm still deciding on Scout, whether to keep him or not.

I really don't have room for more chickens unless DH builds another super-coop. And I don't want to see the look on his face when I ask for that favor! :|

Back
Top Bottom