Home From Farmers Market - Second Trip :O)

we had girl scouts over when our chicks were young, I had one of the moms explain to me that you have to keep the rooster locked up when the chickens start laying eggs because fertilized eggs can kill you, I asked why and she said because that is what she had heard, dont know who she heard it from, but it must be true. However we had another that thought you had to have a rooster to get eggs, so now I think I know why you have to have a rooster around its so the hens can show off thier egg laying abilitys, but dont let him be with them or you cant eat those eggs they will kill ya. I am starting to figure this egg laying thing out now.
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif
idunno.gif

UPDATE - Second trip

OMGoodness... we did awesom this morning... took 20 dozen eggs with us and about 5 dozen duck eggs... we sold out in 2 hours of everything!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it... people were buying the duck eggs by the dozen too!!!!!!! DH went with me this time LOL... Said he is going to have to break down and listen to me LOL.... (Cyn if you are reading this...
lau.gif
got him again!!!!!!!!! heehee. I love it!!!!!!!!!)

How funny people are. You know people just don't know the things are grandparents knew and the art of living of the land is gone. I was picking garden greens from my fall garden yesterday for the first time and for a second I was worried that if we ate them we would get sick. LOL I planted them from seed come on am I nuts. It is just that we have been told for so long "don't eat things from the yard" It's in our heads now. We are raised to think things from the store are safe and things from the "land" are questionable. I am so thankful to be giving my kids the art that has been lost for so long. We ate the best salad I have ever eaten and straight from are garden. In the spring my girls should be laying
fl.gif
And then fresh eggs. My girls will have such fond memories of salad from the garden and eggs from the coop.

I agree!!! Living off our own land is the best. We raise our own pigs, chickens, and have our own garden (the cows will be here hopefully in the spring) to top it all off... we have a creek that we are able to catch some nice fish in if we want them. I am to the point of not getting anything from the store anymore... you dont know what you will get. It has become so unsafe to buy produce and meat at the store!!! We have 5 kids, 4 of them living at home... and I will tell you, they enjoy the farm for the most part... they do get upset with having to take care of things once in a while... but for the most part they will thank us in the long run!!! I really wish I would have grown up like this. It is so nice to be able to say... IT FRESHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We even slottered our own pig last weekend... To me... the pig did taste fresher then the store... and enjoy everybite!!!!

Unfortunetly my garden is gone for the winter (need to build a green house)... but the local farmers that were selling at the market... did get my business!!!!!! Oh I so enjoy the farmers market!!!!!!!!!

And yes,
gig.gif
it does take time to train DH's... but after being right so many times... you would think he would LISTEN
gig.gif

I personally believe the time will come when we'll only be able to trust what we produce ourselves. Hey, we're getting there already with all the stuff being pulled from the shelves. However, I'm not a doomsdayer. I just think that people need to rethink their priorities and learn some of the lost arts, like canning, and gardening etc. You may have to depend on that someday if only because you lost your job or something.

I'm thinking about doing the farmers market thing too. They sell a doz. eggs for between $3 & $5 here, and if you don't get there really early you miss out. Friends and neighbors are already asking when we'll start selling eggs. At the rate we're going never.
roll.png
Ok, I know they'll get on the ball soon, but I have 6 eggs in the fridge that are all smaller than a small sized egg. But we had the "EGG" talk today, so any day now, I'm sure.
lol.png

I can't get enough eggs for my neighbors right now. One called me two or three weeks ago and said to save up as many as possible-her grandkids were coming and her daughter wants to take my eggs home with her as well. I managed to get her four dozen and she wants more if I can get them-I can't! Another one, same thing-I'm providing eggs for them and their relatives and I now have four measly eggs in the fridge for myself. FOUR little pullets eggs. Half my girls are molting so I got only 9 eggs out of 23 hens and out of those, 4 had to go toward hatching egg orders. I need more layers!

As they say" People are Funny". That never seems to change. I love people watching. Glad you have a market for your eggs. I have people ask occaisionally but with 8 Grands just keeping the family supplied takes all extras.

I'm thinking about doing the farmers market thing too.

Oh if you get the chance... do it... I have loved my experiance so far... this is my second week and it sure does pay for the feed!!!
As for what you said about things being bulled from the shelves... that is what I was refering to... you just cant trust these big companies anymore. And we think the same as you do!!! Have to have them here just incase, that is the reason we went into farming... my DH is a disabled military man... and this has actually helped him!!! As for me.. I have been in college and just now finally found a job.

Hey Cyn if you were closer I would help you out hunny!!! Also, if you were closer... I could probably give you some of the hens I will be getting from this man that I wrote about under Rosebuds post! He knows a man that is giving away 200 hens!!!!!!!!!!! I am not taking them all... but I will take what I can get LOL!!!!!!!!

Oh yah... and I am selling my itty bitty small pullet eggs for $1.50 LOL.... better then nothing! Wait til I get Jumbo eggs LOL... I could probably name my price!!! LOL... everyone keeps asking me for them!!!​

Back
Top Bottom