• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shortblondemommy

Chirping
Mar 2, 2018
Sacramento, California
2A5FE0CC-0FD9-4146-8D1C-E0E960494004.jpeg
F3D6B57F-A5D4-417A-A985-D563C01316D7.jpeg
I’m sure I’m going to get the negative opinions of some people. If you are one of those people I respect you and the way you choose to raise your chickens please show the same respect to me, even if you don’t agree. With that being said I woke up this morning to the first crows from my 20 week old rooster. It was quite obvious to me that I had a rooster, and although I know I am not supposed to have to rooster in my neighborhood I kept him. Well at 4:30 am today he decided to let the world know who he was and very loudly at that. I quickly ran outside and grabbed him and as quick as I could and put him in my garage. Omg my neighbors are gonna kill me, I thought as I stared at my beautiful boy. See all my neighbors think its awesome I have chickens, but my hens make little noise. I’m absolutely positive my neighbors don’t enjoy being woken up at 4:30am! So I quickly made my rooster a no crow collar. I used a piece of ribbon and some Velcro. I made sure when I put it on him I could still fit a finger between the collar and his neck. He didn’t enjoy it at first, but he immediately stopped crowing and hasn’t crowed since. I just thought maybe I could help some one else, I love my rooster, although we don’t have many predators he keeps the pecking order of my hens at bay. The only way I can keep him is to have him wear a collar.

Attachments

• 9F0890A0-26B0-4531-9169-FF93AA78E064.jpeg
    9F0890A0-26B0-4531-9169-FF93AA78E064.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 43
I have read reviews from people who bought the brand name collar “no crow” and most of the reviews were the same, expensive piece of Velcro, but works well.
Good to know. I wonder how, or if, it effects rooster pecking orders. If they aren't crowing, do they become more docile or frustrated? I may test that theory later on.

:bow Fast thinking & great improvising of material. I've read about the "no crow" collars, online & what some have made but I'm not sold on it just yet. There have been several times I've had to rehome my "favorites" cause they turned out to be cockerels. This gives me hope that maybe I can keep a cockerel :fl
:pop PLEASE give us an update on your success with your collar. :fl

It was quite obvious to me that I had a rooster, and although I know I am not supposed to have to rooster in my neighborhood I kept him. Well at 4:30 am today he decided to let the world know who he was and very loudly at that. I quickly ran outside and grabbed him and as quick as I could and put him in my garage. Omg my neighbors are gonna kill me, I thought as I stared at my beautiful boy. See all my neighbors think its awesome I have chickens, but my hens make little noise.
With all due respect, couple things to keep in mind:

You could be putting the ability to any keep chickens at all at risk, for you and maybe others in your area, by flouting the bylaws. You may be able to quiet him somewhat, but it only takes one person to complain/report and you're busted.

Your pullets(not hens until one year old) may very well make a heck of a lot of noise when they reach point of lay. They usually only do it during daylight hours, tho it can go on and on and on for hours, but I've had to close the windows to block the noise while I work 30' away.

With all due respect, couple things to keep in mind:

You could be putting the ability to any keep chickens at all at risk, for you and maybe others in your area, by flouting the bylaws. You may be able to quiet him somewhat, but it only takes one person to complain/report and you're busted.

Your pullets(not hens until one year old) may very well make a heck of a lot of noise when they reach point of lay. They usually only do it during daylight hours, tho it can go on and on and on for hours, but I've had to close the windows to block the noise while I work 30' away.
My hens are 3 years old and one years old. I’m most likely not going to keep him, but for the time being I need to keep him quiet.

Back
Top Bottom