homemade waterer question

weschchick

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
NE
Hello - I started my flock last week and am having a few issues with my waterer. I built a horizontal nipple waterer using a 5 gal bucket and some PVC. My leak is coming from the place where I drilled the hole in the side of the bucket. I used a male PVC end and a plastic nut along with large rubber washers - they do screw tightly to the bucket (unlike the male/female pvc connector I tried first). I have tried screwing it very tight and not so tight to see if I could create the correct seal. The leak is minimal, but I would be happier if I could eliminate it.

I was advised at 2 different hardware/home improvement stores that I would never be able to ever get a leakproof seal because of the curve of the bucket. So has anyone ever used a square bucket? I was thinking about trying a 14 gal storage tote (because I have one on hand - not because I need a 14 gal waterer for my 4 hens!!). Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

(chickens figured out the waterer pretty easily)

(this a picture inside the bucket)

(this is where it leaks)

We used 5 gal buckets for our waterers also and we solved the leak issue with a rubber ring on either side of the screw in part (male part) ... one on the inside of the bucket and one on the outside of the bucket. We did nothing else to prevent the leak...and ours went away.

We used 5 gal buckets for our waterers also and we solved the leak issue with a rubber ring on either side of the screw in part (male part) ... one on the inside of the bucket and one on the outside of the bucket. We did nothing else to prevent the leak...and ours went away.
Can you send me a picture of the "rubber ring"? We looked at rubber rings at Home Depot - from the garden hose section, but the employee was certain it wouldn't seal...

I used 3/4 in. PVC pipe and drilled a hole using a 1in. paddle bit (we tried 3/4 and 7/8, both were too small - the 1in bit created a hole that was snug when screwing the male end in).

I used marine grade hull caulking, no leaky!

If it were my chickens, I'd only use aquarium silicone. It takes longer to cure, but does not have toxic additives that can leach into the water. I'm not familiar with marine grade hull caulking, but it sounds like the sort of stuff chock full of such toxic chemicals.

I would recommend using a uniseal where the pvc goes through the wall of the bucket. The uniseal is designed to plumb pvc through curved surfaces and is perfect for things like buckets. It takes just seconds to install. You simply drill the hole for the uniseal, pop it in and push the pvc through. It won't ever leak--in fact it can't because of how it works. Well stocked hardware stores sometimes carry them and they can always be found online. Otherwise, if you're going to try to fix the leaking parts you already have, use silicone (although the uniseal will be cheaper than the silicone). I would advise against using the rubbermaid tub, they don't hold the weight of water well and will eventually split.

We purchased a pack of 10 "O" rings from Lowe's, I would imagine Home Depot carries them, as well.

I use a square bucket to solve this issue. Many resturants / bakeries / etc have them as a lot of bulk food-stuff comes that way.

I think they're 4 gallons? They seem a little smaller than a typical 5 gallon bucket.

Back
Top Bottom