Homeschooled? how come there are so many on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
frow.gif
I'm Homeschooled!

School is overrated
roll.png

Also my brother has autism. Thats probably the reason my mom pulled him and i out of school...

Last edited:
Quote:
That's what I think. Plus they're HOME a lot to be on here all day
lol.png

My mom pulled me and my siblings out to be homeschooled and I hated her for years for it. Still get torqued about it. My siblings are useless members of society and do not mingle well with others. I left at 15 and am the only successful one of the lot. Successful as in I make more then any two together and am the only to have my GED. Got it at age 33. I personally am against homeschooling myself but will not say it is bad. My only concern is the social skills that can be left out as is the case with my family. Plus I do wish I had memories of prom or playing sports. Now I'll never know. See still kinda torqued about it.

My children are in public school. I live in a smaller town and the class sizes are decent. My only issue is some of the teachers. They like to excede their boundaries and I am quick to make sure they stay in those boundaries. Just my two cents.

jeremy

I belive that the idea of homeschooling is great. However our daughter is only 2 so we've not actually done a real curriculum. My DH isn't so into it yet, he doesn't want her to be a loner type person. If we do homeschool we plan on putting her in things like 4-H and girlscouts. I think it is a perfect opportunity to learn and to be social. Plus there are lots of homeschool groups that meet weekly, bi-weekly, etc that are a good alternative.

Quote:
That's what I think. Plus they're HOME a lot to be on here all day
lol.png

My mom pulled me and my siblings out to be homeschooled and I hated her for years for it. Still get torqued about it. My siblings are useless members of society and do not mingle well with others. I left at 15 and am the only successful one of the lot. Successful as in I make more then any two together and am the only to have my GED. Got it at age 33. I personally am against homeschooling myself but will not say it is bad. My only concern is the social skills that can be left out as is the case with my family. Plus I do wish I had memories of prom or playing sports. Now I'll never know. See still kinda torqued about it.

My children are in public school. I live in a smaller town and the class sizes are decent. My only issue is some of the teachers. They like to excede their boundaries and I am quick to make sure they stay in those boundaries. Just my two cents.

jeremy

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Your mom sounds like a real winner all around.

Not all homeschool is like that.

Here in AR we have http://www.homeedonline.com/flames.html
as
well as many smaller county groups. My sister used to Cheerlead for the Flames, my other sister plays Basketball, and I used to swim on the Laser swim team. We had jr/sr prom, sr trips, yearbooks, parties and a graduation ceremony. I went to college and my sister just finished an internship for BKD - google that if you think homeschoolers are socially inept and un-successful in the business world.
It's not always a life of seclusion and there are sports groups for homeschoolers.

I have noticed that an awful lot of folks here home school. I am very lucky in that I bought a house outside my hometown six months prior to my daughter's starting kindergarten, specifically so she can go to school here. Taylor is one of a class of 16, which I think is pretty good.

I am a bit worried though. I've been looking at properties in WV & my research on the schools is not promising.
sad.png

We tried homeschooling my son in the 4th grade. It only lasted a few months. My sons social skills went out the window in a hurry. We do live in a very rural area with not much going on for children, so we had to make the hard decision to place him back in public school. That was three years ago and he is so glad we made that decision. He loves school! The school he goes to is small and he does well there. This is a plus of living in rural areas, smaller schools with less students. The bus rides stink,but as he says, it is more social time. I agree with whomever said education is what you make of it. He goes everyday and makes good grades (B average or better). My daughter starts kindergarten this coming year. She is soooo excited about it. I thought about homeschooling her, but she needs to be with other kids and get in her social time. If you have a large family and live somewhere where there are groups for your children to join,...it would be GREAT! Oh and plus if you have the patience to deal with it.
The thing is some people get so intangled in what they think is the right thing to do, they forget about the child or children. They (the child)have to have a life too!

I have 2 sons. The oldest is 10 and is in public school. My youngest is 5 and is in preschool at a local church preschool program.

I could not imagine home schooling my kids. I feel they need the social time with other kids. Tanner is a social butterfly and has friends and plays baseball. Curtis takes after me and is a little standoffish until he gets to know you. When he is comfortable with you, you kinda wish he was shy again. Just kidding.
When he is playing on the playground, it seams like other kids are drawn to him. He makes friends easily.

My cousin home schools her daughter. She is lacking in social skills. She is very shy and really uncomfortable being around people she does not know. I think the mom is finally realizing that her daughter needs to be around people. Not sheltered at home.
She is going to a public middle school next year.

There is a home schooling club that meets at Chick-fil-a every week. All the home school kids get together to play at the little playground while the moms sit and talk. On many occasions my kids eat and go to the payground and play with these kids. I was totally amazed how these kids acted the first time my kids came to play. They almost hide in a group and are afraid to play with my kids. They just stopped what they were doing and stared at my kids like they were afraid of them. After a few minutes I guess they realized that they were not going to hurt them, they went back to playing but did not acknowledge my kids were in the room. It was kinda funny. My youngest tried to play with them but they just acted like he did not exist. My oldest saidhe thought they were strange.

My kids have learned to deal with just about anybody. They have wonderful social skills and can pretty much deal in any situation.
I contribute this to being around all types of other children. They realize there are all kinds of people in this world and will know how to deal with all of these strange people in day to day living. I think this is a very important life lesson.

Our elementary school is great. The church preschool is also wonderful. Maybe middle school and high school will be differnet. I hope not.

If home schooling is working for you and your kids, I am really glad. I just don't think it is right for me and my kids. I guess we all have our opinions.

Thanks!

Darin

Quote:
You describe them like they are aliens or something! Just because one kid is shy doesn't necessarily mean they are "lacking" in social skills. Some people just aren't very social, and some people grow into it later. You're forgetting that people are individuals, some are social butterflies and some simply are not.

Before I graduated high school I worked at WalMart and dealt with more different people and unusual situations than any of your kids do at school - I guarantee it. Being homeschooled definitely didn't hamper my social adaptability.
roll.png

I went to school from preschool to 10th grade (well like a month of 10th
roll.png
) and ive been home schooled this year and i love it! I was just soooo sick of all the darn stress and all the jerks at school
hmm.png

next year i plan on goin to a continuation school though (but i have a feeling its still gonna be bad and ill end up back at home)
roll.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom