Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Stone Soup-- I stumbled on this book called Stone Soup. We read the book and then made the soup. THe kids even washed a stone to put in. ( I said I put it in, when they were not paying attention, but just could not bring my self to put it in. lol ) and when it was ready the kids had a bowl of soup.

I told the librarian about my proud acheivemnt -- thinking I had been clever-- she had been a teacher and did that same activity with her students.

Sometimes books get the creative juices flowing.

My kids liked Caps for Sale. I drew out a lot of hats with a sharpie, and let them color each hat, and cut with a scissor. Good for motor skills. THen I drew out the man and cut him out. CHild glued man on a colored paper and glued the hats in a pile on his head.

My kids are passed these activites but perhaps they will fit in with something you have planned.

Oh I LOVE those!!

We get occassional reruns of Liberties Kids-- I especially enjoy the voice of the newsbroadcaster as Mr Franklin. Sorry drawing a blank at the moment on his name.

He reported the news in a time when everything was not a crisis.

I have a few of the Magic School bus dvd's-- a nice intro to many subjects. We were just talking about coffee beans the other day, and yet it has been years since my boys watched the Magic school bus episode on growing coffee beans.

I'm sure you kids will enjoy those dvd's.

You can get MSB on netfilx too.

How wonderful this thread is here...what a great support to homeschooling moms.

I homeschooled my three kids (who are all now successful adults), but I now teach afterschool ESL (with my middle daughter), using those wonderful phonics skills and thematic studies I learned for my kids.

I didn't have time to read all 9 pages of this thread, so hopefully I'm not redundant, but here's a fun unit that ties in chickens with homeschooling.

Although it is geared for about 4th-5th grade, I've used this egg/embryo unit for youngsters (about kindergarten) through junior high.

It is free download from OSU Extension Service (4H). I first did it as a 4H unit with my kids and our homeschool co-op, using incubators, but now I do it with my ESL kids using broody hens.
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/4h/4-H1500theincredibleegg.pdf

Then I add these videos for an excellent unit of the egg, chick embryo development and hatching.

Enjoy.
Lady of McCamley

frow.gif
Hi Special HEn , I'm in Mass too.

OK-- I found one of the 3 book volume. Vol 3 is world Maps

Volume Library 3, for home and school use. PUblisher looks like Southwestern in Nashville, TN, copyright is GeoNova Publishing, Inc.
ISBN 978-0-87197-454-9

A book that cover world countries, state maps, a map of nathional parks in the US. River maps of countried,roads map of many cities-- primarily a reference book. Last 100 pages ( 850pp in book) discusses learnng styles, test taking, SATs, tips, short tests, and GED info.

Belongs in a library-- which is why I like it.
smile.png

Bought several spelling/vocab books by Shostak. A-D workbooks so the kids would not be limited to sitting at the computer--Looking forward to checking them out. Level A starts at 6th grade level, but could be suitable for an advanced student of a younger age.

THis is also online. WIll post a link when I can find it. http://www.vocabtest.com/

My kids like to use PUzzlemaker.com to make word puzzles from a list of spelling words. As well as spelling city .com

When my kids were just learning their words, I would write in large letters using a marker on a thick paper like colored construction paper cut to 2 x 3's. Write 2 cards for each word, and play Go FIsh, Matching, or what ever you dream up. Started with only a few words, like 10 , to teach the idea and can increase the number or alternate packets to refresh.

Coolmath.com offers a WIDE range of activites, and actually has several web sites cool math-games, coolmath for kids. Uses online games to expand many types of math that are fun and a game for everyone. I have been known to stay up late moving up the levels. Alsso has standard math facts as printable cards and online.

My kids often played this physics challenge: Construction Fall. We haven't played for a while so I hope it is still out here. Kids are learning about force and motion as they try the challenging set ups. If all the logical tries fail-- try the illogical!!

Too many teachers are just dictators. THey for get to encourage a love of learning.

Too many teachers are beaten down by overcrowded classrooms (30+ kids per class), overworked administrators who let their stress trickle down, parents who expect teachers to be mom/counselor/therapist/teacher, parents who are no-where to be found, lack of funding for basic classroom supplies (like paper and pencils), horrendous testing requirements, and kids who are grade levels behind where they are supposed to be, and kids who just don't care.

As a former teacher myself, I can tell you that it's a lot harder than you think. Most teachers I know DO love teaching and DO strive to encourage a love of learning. But every card in the deck is stacked against them, and most days are an uphill battle one way or another. There are always lots of sweet kids who genuinely want to succeed, and they make it all worth it. But there are also kids who throw chairs at you and administrators who look the other way; parents who cuss you out because you don't buy their kid's school supplies for them; kids who lie, cheat, steal, and bully - and get away with it; endless night & weekend hours spent grading papers, tests & notebooks - because you barely have five minutes for lunch, much less time to do that during the day. There are fifth graders who don't know their ABCs - and THEIR reading test scores count as part of YOUR performance evaluation.

The list goes on and on. It's a tough job. There's a reason the profession has such a high drop-out rate. There isn't a teaching program in this country that can adequately prepare someone for what they might face in an inner-city classroom. I've had teenagers stand on a desk and urinate into a fish tank - just because they thought it was funny. My car window was smashed by a kid after I called his mother to discuss his grades. MY teacher training involved advice like, "Make sure you take a different route home each night - we've had teachers whose houses were set on fire" and "NEVER leave your desk drawers unlocked and for heaven's sake don't EVER have an open drink around - we've had teachers poisoned before."

My experiences aren't extreme - they're far more 'normal' than most people realize. There certainly ARE teachers out there who are burned out, frustrated, and probably should find another profession. Until you've toughed it out in a classroom, please don't be so quick to judge. There ARE still loads of great teachers who are doing their best and don't deserve the abuse they endure from kids, parents, administrators, and the public.

Here is a website for passing on used curriculum. I have gotten a few things from here over the past few years. The site is made up of homeschooling families from all over the US. Basically, when you see books you want or need, you offer a book you no longer need. The only cost is shipping, paid by the recipient, through paypal.There are more specific instructions on the site. The site is curriculumshare.com.
We have home- schooled since my oldest ( now 20 and working) was in 3rd grade. My 18 year old just graduated and I have three more to go- ages 8, 9, and 11. ( grades 3rd, 5th, and 6th in the upcoming school year)

OK I decided to take a chance and jump in. Hi everyone :) I homeschool my two school aged daughters aged 10 and 8. I also have a 3 year old son, a 1 year old daughter and a daughter due in November :)

My 10 year old is very bright and wasn't being challenged in school but was being bullied while my 8 (almost 9) year old has severe dyslexia and was just drowning at school.
I pulled them a couple years ago (battled bogus truancy charges for that) and never looked back.

Glad you joined us! The more the better!

Back
Top Bottom