Homesteading ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by deChickyHen, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I hope this is in the right place, I'm guessing it is because it has to do with the managment of my flock.
    I think I understand the homesteading process. This is what my plans are and maybe someone can help me out with this plan...
    I just got my dual purpose egg layers a few weeks ago, got some meaties too.
    I really dont want to do meaties again because they are tooo greedy and I had plenty of heavy birds with broken legs and dislocated hips..
    So heres my plan, by february I should start getting eggs, If I can hatch 30 or more a month and slaughter every 24 weeks I should not have to buy chicken from the stores anymore.
    I want to hatch 30 a month for 6 months and then about 30 every other month.
    I have the land and the property, can afford to feed them, just wanting to know does anyone else do this process and how effective can this plan be.. or shouold I do some revisions?

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Down at the bottom of the page is a link for http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/ . It might have more folks who are homesteading. I like the idea of self-sufficiency. And with the prices of everything shooting through the roof, being able to provide some of my own food could definitely be cost-effective. I'm hoping someone here can answer your questions.

3. deChickyHen

Sep 12, 2011
    Quote:Thanks I'm diff gonna look into it, I hope so too, I was thinking that more people had a system like this, or maybe they just haven't read this post yet... lol

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I say post on the meat birds section. There is dual purpose discussion there often

5. deChickyHen

Sep 12, 2011
    nope Nuffin [​IMG]

6. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    we are homesteading but we don't eat our birds [​IMG] probably should post it in the meatie section

7. deChickyHen

Sep 12, 2011
    Quote:I did Thanks!! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by