Hopefully a challenge!

Would this mean that he is not actually D'Uccle? Here is the pair.

He might be a d'Uccle (breed). But he is not from a flock that breeds true for any one specific color.

Since he is obviously carrying one gene I didn't expect, I can't predict what other genes he might be carrying. For all I know, he might already be half porcelain, or carrying a mix of genes from several different color varieties.

Alright here it is today. Come on @NatJ tell me I have the most sought after designer chicken in the world!
C8FE27D0-3136-4A76-9003-D6AE70A04CF6.jpeg

Attachments

• BE9F6352-9A9F-43F1-82EE-D124DE67DF50.jpeg
    BE9F6352-9A9F-43F1-82EE-D124DE67DF50.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 5E65D439-170D-4D32-99FE-89B3575A3BE6.jpeg
    5E65D439-170D-4D32-99FE-89B3575A3BE6.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 2
Alright here it is today. Come on @NatJ tell me I have the most sought after designer chicken in the world!

And last for the day was a Mille flure hen v self blue roo D'Uccle. Obviously really difficult to tell feathering when they are 30 seconds out of the egg, but looks like an SB

here is the D'Uccle baby. Looks blue? Not self blue, but blue.

^These three are all about the same chick, right? (Just trying to be sure I'm not mixed up.)

The color is reminding me of what Sebrights and some other breeds have as chicks: they look gray, but grow up to have a pattern of black-and-something. So I think probably not blue, but of course I could be wrong.

I think I see gold in the feathers, not silver. So that would mean the father has at least one copy of the gold gene (although other genes might be making that not visible). Or else it means that I am mixed up about what color I see on the chick.

I see a single comb and feathered feet (no surprises there, given that both parents have those traits too.)

I think I'll settle for saying, "Please update as it grows. I really don't know what is going on here." (Sounds like a cop-out, but probably better than pretending to know when I actually don't.)

^These three are all about the same chick, right? (Just trying to be sure I'm not mixed up.)

The color is reminding me of what Sebrights and some other breeds have as chicks: they look gray, but grow up to have a pattern of black-and-something. So I think probably not blue, but of course I could be wrong.

I think I see gold in the feathers, not silver. So that would mean the father has at least one copy of the gold gene (although other genes might be making that not visible). Or else it means that I am mixed up about what color I see on the chick.

I see a single comb and feathered feet (no surprises there, given that both parents have those traits too.)

I think I'll settle for saying, "Please update as it grows. I really don't know what is going on here." (Sounds like a cop-out, but probably better than pretending to know when I actually don't.)
Yes - this is a new chick, seperate from the OP from what appears to be a SB D'Uccle dad, and a MF D'Uccle mom - both said to be a year old. And they are the only pair together - it would be impossible for any other influence there.

The dad really has the DU appearance? But no beard really. So that was my first suspicion. Granted, when I got them - I wasn't aware than Mille Fluer wasn't a type of chicken, I though that she was MF and he was a D'Uccle. Obviously I know now that they are both different varieties of DU.

The circumstances where they were living prior would suggest there was some cross breading taking place between a few different types of bantams.

Back
Top Bottom