Horizontal Nipple Waterers... in your opinion, yes or no?

Yes or no?

• Total voters
I have one for my three girls, love it! I had five hens drinking off of just one before. Mine has three nipples that come off of it. Mine also plugs in so the water doesn't freeze in the winter. To train them to drink from it, you have to remove all other water sources(maybe not the best idea in summer). Then show them where the water comes from. I had to physically grab each chicken and put their beak up to the nipple part. I will never use another waterer in my coop! I do have mine up on a couple blocks, so the girls can reach it better. This is the one I have

Attachments

• 51wnl0v71FL._AC_SY780_.jpg
    51wnl0v71FL._AC_SY780_.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 80
That's what I used. Just don't use that drill attachment!

I spaced the nipples around the buckets by thinking of how big a hen is and how much personal space she might want. I didn't want them close enough to start pecking order trouble while drinking.
Ordered!

Give ya credit where credit is due but I'm in Arkansas and our winters don't get that cold. I have my heater set up on a timer that only runs for a hour or 2 before the sun comes up in the cold months. I've walked out and the 250 watt heater I got has the 5 gallon bucket hot enough runnin that short amount of time it's luke warm on the outside of the bucket. Good enough for down here.
The stock tank deicer I use has its own thermostat. It turns on at about 35 degrees and off again at 40. The water never gets warm. It merely stays thawed.

I’m not that strong (sometimes I get tired even carrying the 50lb chicken feed bags, especially when it hot out) and even carrying a 3 gallon, sloshing water container is a pain.
I can't even lift the 50 lb bags. 😅

My waterer realistically holds a little over 2 gallons so I can lift it back and forth to the spigot if needed. Or I keep empty 1 gallon jugs around for easy filling of both the chicken waterer and my dog bowls.

Back
Top Bottom