House design for Brahma

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenjoefan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. chickenjoefan

chickenjoefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    Hi

I am currently incubating my first hatch and am trying to design my own coop. I am looking for advice from people who have Brahmas on how much space they need, how big the nest boxes/pop hole shouId be and how high the perch should be. All the info I have found so far is very general and I know my babies will be big and need special consideration.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Terri

2. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I dont know squat since my birds havent arrived yet but....I have been reading since JUNE last year and hope I am doing it right. I have Jersey Giants coming. I made my nest boxes 15 inch cubes. They are 24 inches off the floor with a ramp and a 9 inch wide walkway along the box fronts. The pop door is 12 inches wide and 16 inches tall. The roosts are36 inches off the ground over a 24 inch high poop board and I know thats high but they have a ramp. I also have average size birds coming too so I hope this works for everyone. Ill be interested to see how the experienced folks weigh in.

3. chickenjoefan

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    Thanks for that. Sounds like a big shed. Good luck with your new arrivals.

4. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    My brahmas and orpingtons are happy in 15-18" nests.

5. chickenjoefan

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    Thanks

How tall are your brahmas? all the books talk about weight but don't mention height. What sort of coop do you have?

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Brahma hens were not very big but I have heard roos get very big.
    I also have Jersey Giants and they are much bigger. My nest boxes are prefabs so the girls squeeze their rumps in and lay just fine.
    I have a regular door on the free range coop so no pop doors for those big girls but my LF Cochins used a pop door when they were in the shed and they are 12'wide and 14" tall. They went through fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by