House design for Brahma

chickenjoefan

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Western Isles, Scotland
Hi

I am currently incubating my first hatch and am trying to design my own coop. I am looking for advice from people who have Brahmas on how much space they need, how big the nest boxes/pop hole shouId be and how high the perch should be. All the info I have found so far is very general and I know my babies will be big and need special consideration.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Terri

I dont know squat since my birds havent arrived yet but....I have been reading since JUNE last year and hope I am doing it right. I have Jersey Giants coming. I made my nest boxes 15 inch cubes. They are 24 inches off the floor with a ramp and a 9 inch wide walkway along the box fronts. The pop door is 12 inches wide and 16 inches tall. The roosts are36 inches off the ground over a 24 inch high poop board and I know thats high but they have a ramp. I also have average size birds coming too so I hope this works for everyone. Ill be interested to see how the experienced folks weigh in.

My Brahma hens were not very big but I have heard roos get very big.
I also have Jersey Giants and they are much bigger. My nest boxes are prefabs so the girls squeeze their rumps in and lay just fine.
I have a regular door on the free range coop so no pop doors for those big girls but my LF Cochins used a pop door when they were in the shed and they are 12'wide and 14" tall. They went through fine.

Back
Top Bottom