House infested with chicken mites

I learned the hard way. DE doesn't work. I have tried a lot of different things. I use permethrin. It works. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. As a bonus there is no egg withdrawal period. I also put some of the dust in the nest boxes. It does take a few weekly thorough sprayings everywhere to completely eradicate them. Permethrin does not kill the mite eggs so repeat sprayings or dusting is necessary. Good luck...

How long did the coop have the mites?
We clean coop's often and put new pine shavings down. ...and in between changes we scatter DE on the floor.

We use food grade DE and once a quarter routinely add 2 to 3 cups to the one foot tall dust barrel ..... which has fresh wood ashes and dirt.... for dusting.

Occasionally, we find a bird with mites and will literally dust it with DE under wings and generally all over rubbing against the feather layers. (old hair blowers work wonders at this time....however because we drop DE in the intake for distribution...they don't last long...we do this outside and wear mask).

The program seems to work.
It was probably the wood ash.

Last years was the first time I had any problem with mites. I thought the birds were going through their yearly molt but when they weren't getting their feathers back in I checked them over and discovered the mites. I treated them with different things including DE which didn't get rid of them. I had some sevin dust so I put that on the most infested and it did help. I bought some permethrin spray and sprayed the birds and thoroughly sprayed inside the coops. Within a couple of weeks I noticed they weren't infested anymore. I sprayed the coops another couple of weeks. The birds were getting their feathers back. Now they are beautiful again and as I mentioned in my previous post, there is no egg withdrawal period. Again, good luck...

Help...I believe I have a mite infestation in my house and in my bed. I keep a kennel in my bedroom and have brought injured chickens to spend time in the kennel. Recently I had a young hen pass away and I am guessing that is where the mites came. I am constantly cleaning my bedding, but now can't even get a full night's sleep...I have bites all over my body from head to toe. I don't know what to do...am ready to burn my bed. I can not see the mites....I look and look and can not see them. Help.

Did you try any of the things I posted here? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/evil-chicken-mites.1354517/#post-22342505

Did you check the deceased hen (or the rest of the flock, for that matter) for mites? If you can confirm the birds have mites, then at least you'll know what you need to treat for. The birds will need to also be treated concurrently.

Count on vacuuming a lot, and washing/drying sheets. If these are Northern fowl mites you won't see them, but as they can't survive off human blood they'll die off gradually. Red mites can live longer, but you could try checking crevices near where the kennel sits. You're looking for tiny red dots that move when their hiding spot is disturbed.
I buried the hen right away...that was a couple weeks ago. I will have to look at the others. I have not had a moment to spare....I am a Teacher and I have 13 dogs, more cats, the 11 chickens and have spent the last 4 days prepping for a major storm and freeze in the Houston area....along with tending to a very sick cat that I had to put to sleep this week. My life has been hell. But I have tried looking and I don't see any bugs...but I have about 200 bites on my body....it is horrific. I actually slathered myself in almond oil and an anti bug essential oil mix last night and finally got a night's sleep without scratching all night long from the new bites. I also have the 2 chickens that live in the office room next to my bedroom and won't be able to get them outside till Saturday after the the freezing temps and snow have stopped. I have 2 washing machines that have been going nonstop since yesterday. Can the northern fowl mites or the red mites live off of my cats or dogs? I do see red dots that do not move....even bought a magnifying glass...I think those are just flea droppings off the cats. We have fleas even with monthly flea treatments. The other issue is there are 2 oppossums that live under my house and they they have broken into the HVAC ducts as I caught one in the house one morning, eating the cat food. Can the mites live on Oppossums? I hate the ducts in these double wides as they have a fiberglass internal lining that allows fleas and what not to live in the material. I am trying to research how to replace them with something else that animals can not chew thru.

If you could get a few on a piece of tape you may be able to identify what they are so you can treat accordingly. Permethrin is my recommendation but I have never had them in my house.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eople-infest-their-house.756271/post-23440975
I wouldn't know where to put the tape as I can't see the darn things...LOL. Iam also worried about using the chemicals in the house because of the cats and me. Was hoping someone had run into this issue before....been washing bedding and clothing nonstop. Have a gazillion bites all over my body.

Yah, I have thought about that. I use it with the dogs that I rescue that have demodetic mange mites....but that seems to be mites that burrow and live under the skin. Iam assuming these mites just live externally and bite me.

Doesn't matter, it's systemic. Studies have shown it will even knock down bedbugs (though not completely), and those bugs are hard to kill!

And just for good measure, it will protect you from COVID for a couple weeks. What's not to like?

Doesn't matter, it's systemic. Studies have shown it will even knock down bedbugs (though not completely), and those bugs are hard to kill!

And just for good measure, it will protect you from COVID for a couple weeks. What's not to like?
And I have lyme disease....which are internal parasites, so it might be beneficial. Problem is, Houston is pretty much shut down this entire week due to a historic storm of freezing rain, snow, freezing temps....we are all in survival mode, so no doctor trips this week.

Back
Top Bottom