House infested with chicken mites

And I have lyme disease....which are internal parasites, so it might be beneficial. Problem is, Houston is pretty much shut down this entire week due to a historic storm of freezing rain, snow, freezing temps....we are all in survival mode, so no doctor trips this week.

Well, you can always just ask your doctor over the phone if there's any reason you shouldn't take it.

Although Ivermectin is a very safe drug for most humans, people who are taking medicines for various conditions shouldn't take it. I'm not a doctor so I don't remember the whole list.

Also, it shouldn't be taken with alcohol, and I seem to remember that alcohol should be avoided while taking it. But again, ask your doctor.

If for some reason your doctor cannot prescribe it but doesn't have any good reason why you should NOT take it, it's also available as a veterinary medicine.

"Horse paste" is just Ivermectin in mineral jelly with some flavoring and a tiny amount of preservative. People take the same dose per pound as horses, so one tube treats one 1200-pound horse or 8 150-pound people.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a bottle of cattle/swine injectable to have on hand for my rescues. I don't have a regular doctor and so, it might be a struggle. Thanks for the great info.

Ivermectin is NOT effective for COVID, that was disproven very early on, after several people poisoned themselves with it. It is a drug, it isn't harmless, don't take it on a whim.

Anyway, bird mites cannot feed off of mammalian blood. If you have cleaned the room and washed the sheets, it is unlikely to be that.

It is more likely to be an allergic reaction. What have you sprayed/cleaned with? Did you use a different detergent to get rid of the mites? Did you put something on your bed? It may even be an allergic reaction to bird dander - which goes through the air as dust, settles on your clothes/bedding and then is pressed against your skin for hours.

Before you start dousing your room (or, heaven forbid, yourself!) with more chemicals, if you have a sudden rash, see a doctor, don't ask the internet. Even if it's hard.

It also may be fleas. Which, I get it. I have over a dozen cats and 3 big dogs, fleas happen. Especially down south.
TSC has a generic capstar. I'll pull up the link. Get the large dog size and dissolve the pill in 5cc of water, then 1cc will treat a cat. Do EVERY animal in your house on the same day. That will kill every flea that bites them for the next 3 days.
Then, get some mothballs and put them in your vacuum cleaner bag (or canister) and vacuum everything, floor, couch, mattress, everything. Hang all your bedding and the pet's bedding outside - yes, especially if it's freezing. Exposure is one of the few things that kills flea eggs.

If you feel that isn't enough, then Ortho has a flea and bedbug spray, it's about 16 at Home Depot, and you can order it off their website (but really please do make sure you're not reacting to any chemicals now!!! I just had a nightmarish reaction to a new brand of powdered bleach. In my laundry = no escape) and treat the house with that.

And, because nothing but exposure to the elements kills eggs or pupae, do it again in 2 weeks once everything hatches.
I have to go through the rigamarole at least once a year, because fleas happen. An outbreak usually costs me around $50 to get under control.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ea-treatment-for-dogs-over-25-lb-711650130006

I'm sorry, I don't know how to say this gently, but you're wrong. The NIH (US National Institute of Health) has recently approved the use of Ivermectin to treat COVID19.

Ivermectin has also been shown in studies to be an effective prophylactic against COVID19 infection if taken every two weeks at normal dosage of 0.2mg/kg, which works out to about 1mg per 11 pounds.

Where have you been in the last 8 weeks? Didn't you watch the Senate testimony?
If there's new information, I'm always happy to have it! If I'm wrong, I want to learn. Do you have a link?

Although I do have to point out that regardless, people taking info and self-dosing with cattle drugs is Not The Same as being treated with the same active ingredient (but different carriers) by a Dr, so no matter what you see on a forum, DO NOT TAKE MEDICAL ADVICE ONLINE AND DRUG YOURSELF. Also @parvani, if someone takes the info you posted, drugs themselves and something goes wrong, you can be tracked through your ip and held liable. So if you do give out medical and dosing advice on a public forum, always put a disclaimer like the one I wrote in caps. Or, just post a link to a study and tell people to educate themselves and talk to a medical professional in person and avoid the whole mess.

And, as you said, please read that gently and with concern. Not only would I hate to hear of some kid having a violent reaction and ending up hurt or killed, I would hate to see you suffer as well, for nothing more than being well-intentioned.

LOL, and for the last 8 weeks I've been managing a 400+ acre farm through an upstate NY winter, so no, I haven't. I've actually been actively avoiding anything touching near politics, as I have enough stress - I've had a cow down, been fighting with the township to actually plow my road after the truck and I slow-motion-slid 500 yards on solid ice into a tree, my one hay supplier ran short and I just lost my very beloved and valuable mare after a short and nasty illness. I post here when I come in to warm up or (like now) can't sleep.

I really would like to see that study though.

to me it sounds like both cases were more than mites. Lots of peeople have pointed out mites don't bite people so to get 200 bites and them living in a bed I would suspect lice, fleas or even bed bugs.
A bug bomb should help.

Years ago I was waking up with what looked like bites all over me. I washed the bedding and sprayed the mattress before I put the bedding back on and still was having issues. It turned out to be the laundry detergent that had some ingredient that was the problem. I switched to the free and clear and no more issues. I'm not suggesting that, only that I had a similar issue and that was my problem. A friend had the same issue and thought he had bedbugs or something and threw out his matress and bought another mattress before he found out it was the laundry detergent. Good luck...

If there's new information, I'm always happy to have it! If I'm wrong, I want to learn. Do you have a link?

Although I do have to point out that regardless, people taking info and self-dosing with cattle drugs is Not The Same as being treated with the same active ingredient (but different carriers) by a Dr, so no matter what you see on a forum, DO NOT TAKE MEDICAL ADVICE ONLINE AND DRUG YOURSELF. Also @parvani, if someone takes the info you posted, drugs themselves and something goes wrong, you can be tracked through your ip and held liable. So if you do give out medical and dosing advice on a public forum, always put a disclaimer like the one I wrote in caps. Or, just post a link to a study and tell people to educate themselves and talk to a medical professional in person and avoid the whole mess.

And, as you said, please read that gently and with concern. Not only would I hate to hear of some kid having a violent reaction and ending up hurt or killed, I would hate to see you suffer as well, for nothing more than being well-intentioned.

LOL, and for the last 8 weeks I've been managing a 400+ acre farm through an upstate NY winter, so no, I haven't. I've actually been actively avoiding anything touching near politics, as I have enough stress - I've had a cow down, been fighting with the township to actually plow my road after the truck and I slow-motion-slid 500 yards on solid ice into a tree, my one hay supplier ran short and I just lost my very beloved and valuable mare after a short and nasty illness. I post here when I come in to warm up or (like now) can't sleep.

I really would like to see that study though.

Wise advice which I decided to take. See my post edit.

And thanks for taking the time out of what is likely a frantically busy day in this cold snap. I hope that you, your family, and all your livestock are doing okay in this cold.

Shouldn't need to re-treat the house as both red mites and northern fowl mites can't survive off human blood.

Yes, you will need to re-treat the birds. As far as eggs, I am not familiar with the product you used so I'd check the package for instructions.

As far as continuing to keep them out of the house from this point forward: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/evil-chicken-mites.1354517/#post-22342505

We have had chicken mites through the house, my daughter getting bitten several times. Only realised it was coming from the chooks when we went to the coop. They were literally jumping out of the soil around our feet. This all happened so quickly. We have sprayed the coop and run with the following which we got from our stock feed place. We have dusted the chooks, dogs and new bedding with DE. Inside I have bombed with a flea bomb in each room and hot washed all bedding and soft items in the rooms. Do we need to redo the house after a week or two as well? Or just the coop and chooks? Are the eggs still good after this treatment? Thanks everyone.

How long did the coop have the mites?
We clean coop's often and put new pine shavings down. ...and in between changes we scatter DE on the floor.

We use food grade DE and once a quarter routinely add 2 to 3 cups to the one foot tall dust barrel ..... which has fresh wood ashes and dirt.... for dusting.

Occasionally, we find a bird with mites and will literally dust it with DE under wings and generally all over rubbing against the feather layers. (old hair blowers work wonders at this time....however because we drop DE in the intake for distribution...they don't last long...we do this outside and wear mask).

The program seems to work.

Back
Top Bottom