House training Pot Belly Pig using a bell at door

2468Chickensrgr8

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
Ontario
Okay I have a 12 week old Pot Belly Pig that is the cutest little thing right now ....Bella....
I am home 24/7 I have house broke puppies ...children....and a husband .. but still working on picking up his underwear next to the laundry basket though....but thats a different topic ...anywho
I would like to train Bella to ring a bell next to the door with her snout when ever she needs to go outside to do her bussiness ...I dont really want to use the litter box method as I have two dogs indoors and as of now my kitchen has been turned into a pigpen ...she sleeps in a dog crate made to her size and then has free range of the kitchen when someone is in the kitchen ..being the computer is in the kitchen its would be ALL the time ...
Has anyone done this with their pig or Dog ? What are the steps to training her this way ...How do I do it?
I have been putting her outside after each meal/water time and playtime and I do praise her/treat her when she "poopies and pee pee's"....and she's getting the idea ...my problem is I have to pick her up to bring her outside because she will not go to the door to give me a sign like a dog does ...or will she someday ?.......she'll come in no problem because its so freakin' cold out ....Its almost like she's to smart ...telling me "eh I aint going out there lady !"
Thanks so much ...I have to go to bed now ...early morning as I now have a pig and les enfants are going back to school YEAH!!!
Ooops forgot to add her photo
4785_introducing_bella_my_pig_jan_1_2010_016.jpg

Last edited:
Very cute
smile.png

My pot belly did use a bell to go outside, one of those christmas bell necklaces- he would ring it, I would let him out, then he would root the door back open and close it when he got back in the house.

Sadly, I dont know how to train them to do it. Pork Chop trained himself. he just started doin it. I had hung the bell there during christmas and he would ring it when he wanted our attention. He started out by just standing by the door (we always used the same one)- then I guess because of bordom one day when I was in the other room, he started ringing it.

Mine was litter box trained, but he just got too big for it.

Good luck, and pigs are so smart that it shouldnt take too long.

oh wow I was just asking about micro pigs and about them. The liytter box thing was bugging me I mean who wants to clean the poo of a pig that could grow to 40lbs! Knowing that they cn be trained to go outside like a dog is great, Your little piggy is so cute too.
smile.png

From what I read they can be littered trained using wood shavings but you need something bigger than a kitty litter box.and more shallower ..and females because they pee like a fountain you never know if there butt will be hanging over the edge...plus I have two large dogs that LOVE "orderves" and I can imagine them laying in it thinking it was the barn yard outside ...
hmm.png

I know that people have trained dogs to ring a bell at the door ...I think it would be similiar training a pig....
I just love her ...

I've trained my dogs to ring the bells hanging on the door knob. First, I showed them the bells and if they just touched it, I got very enthusiastic about it and gave them a treat. Then, when they did it again right after, I got all excited again and gave a treat. I gradually worked in opening the door if they touched the bells and they got a treat for that. Then, when I guessed it was time to go potty, I tried the whole routine, but led the dog outdoors to go potty and then got VERY excited about that and ran in the door with the dog following, and gave another treat. It's all about setting the animal up for success and rewarding it every step of the way until they get the routine down; it also helps to have another dog or pig who already rings the bells.

Back
Top Bottom