how accurate is comb size and color at 8-10 weeks?

Looked for pics and don't have any good ones that would help from the last 2 weeks. Will have to try to get some tomorrow
That's fair enough! I'm interested in putting what I've learned to the test honestly. Still kinda new to this all but I've learned a ton! I used to study wildlife sciences so when I start a hobby I go all in and learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I don't know it all but I still like the challenge 😀

That's fair enough! I'm interested in putting what I've learned to the test honestly. Still kinda new to this all but I've learned a ton! I used to study wildlife sciences so when I start a hobby I go all in and learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I don't know it all but I still like the challenge 😀
Feel free to look up the thread on my EE if you want to take a guess.

Most of the time if you have multiple bird of the same breed. Redder, larger combs can be picked out as the cockerals. With some breeds this is accompanied with waddle growth. There are some exeptions, I had 1 pullet that was just as red and larger combed like her brothers. Thought I was sending the whole hatch to freezer camp until I realized she was laying eggs.

as stated in my first post: I now have the EE that most think is a roo, and one of my light brahma's comb is getting bigger and redder at 9.5 weeks.
Okay well we can do reverse, lol. This is a Dark Brahma pullet at 16 weeks to compare combs. It showed some color starting about 11 weeks, more red looking when they are hot
IMG_20210611_192705.jpg

Depending on breed combs and wattles can help. But I've read that when it comes to the wyandottes some develop early on and is not a true indicator to sex. Im currently in that situation right now with 4 wyandottes(2 silver laced and 2 gold laced) 2 of the 4 already have red combs and wattles and the other 2 don't. I've read on another thread to wait it out that that is many times a false indicator for the breed.

I'd say dive deeper into it breed specific as you didn't tell us the breed of the bird in question 😁
I had the same situation last year unfortunately a it ended up being a roo. It took almost 5 months to grow saddle feathers and 7 to start crowing they are a hard breed to sex especially early.

Okay well we can do reverse, lol. This is a Dark Brahma pullet at 16 weeks to compare combs. It showed some color starting about 11 weeks, more red looking when they are hot View attachment 2718687
I thought I was crazy as last week was extra hot here for us and my EE's comb was much redder than it was when it was cooler out. I noticed a couple had more "pink" in their comb when it was hot out. does heat change the comb color really? My EE still has a red comb just not as bright if it isn't as hot but just curious if heat does change it.

I thought I was crazy as last week was extra hot here for us and my EE's comb was much redder than it was when it was cooler out. I noticed a couple had more "pink" in their comb when it was hot out. does heat change the comb color really? My EE still has a red comb just not as bright if it isn't as hot but just curious if heat does change it.

Yeah, the combs are capable of getting flushed. Do both of your birds have pea combs? If so, I'd look at them to see if they're developing ridges/bumps or anything yet. My pullets with pea combs always stay relatively flat combed much longer than the males.

edited because I forgot a word

Last edited:
Yes it's part of thier circulatory system, so if they're overheated they flush just like our faces do. Is your Brahma getting a lumpy looking comb or just seems more prominent than before?

Yes it's part of thier circulatory system, so if they're overheated they flush just like our faces do. Is your Brahma getting a lumpy looking comb or just seems more prominent than before?
I will have to really look in the a.m. I know it is more red and bigger than it was but haven't really noticed the bumps. but my EE is also a LOT redder and bigger but again I haven't seen really the 3 rows of bumps I hear about but it is wider and does look "bumpy" but many pics I have seen here you can see 3 distinct rows and I haven't noticed them on my EE, but then again she/he is a bit tougher to get close to. My brahma will let me pick it up sometimes so I can get much closer to that one. I actually held her today to try to check the hackle feathers but didn't think to look at the bumps on the comb.

But that is good to know about the combs. I hadn't seen it mentioned before so just thought I was crazy in thinking that when it was really hot out. haahaa. I didn't want to mention it at all and be told that I was crazy. :)

Back
Top Bottom