lovemyroos

Chirping
Nov 18, 2017
I have a hen who was staying indoors in a dog crate to recover from a predator attack. She’s just about ready to go back outside, except a couple days ago she started showing signs of fowlpox.

The thing is, I also have a pet lovebird. She’s down the hall and I’m keeping the door to her room closed. I’m also washing my hands between rooms.

Is my bird at risk? If I handle the hen, say to change the papers in her crate, do I need to shower or change clothes before touching the bird again? Or is hand washing enough? Is it safe to even keep the hen indoors with her, or should I put her outside with the rest of the flock? I’ve had chickens get fowlpox before and survive but I’ve never had my bird get it and I’m concerned. I think the outside chickens have been exposed as well (probably via mosquito) but am not sure.

Fowl pox is spread from bird to bird through direct contact. The virus is airborne and can infect birds through their eyes or skin wounds or when they breathe. Although the disease is contagious , it spreads slowly.

Back
Top Bottom