How Did YOU Find BYC? Why Did YOU Join It? Tell Your Story HERE!

I found the old BYC (old EZ board platform) when I was 12 after researching about frostbite. My rooster in my first batch of chickens got frostbite on his comb one winter and I was devastated. BYC helped me get through it and to realize that it wasn't that big a deal after all! I remember I was nervous about joining a message forum because I was so young but my parents encouraged me to do it. BYC has been in my life ever since in varying forms. I've met tons of awesome people and I've sold a lot of birds to BYCers, some as far away as California! I don't actively post as much any more because I don't often have the time (and I don't have my chickens with me at grad school) but I still love chickens just as much as I did when I was 12 (I'm double that age now, if you can believe it. Boy, does time fly!)

Last edited:
Early 2009 I was researching chicken coop designs and found BYC. The first thread I came across was Julie's What's wrong with their feathers thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/98335/whats-wrong-with-their-feathers

I was fascinated!! It was still early in the thread, and no one knew exactly what was going on with her chickens. Mutation?? Crossbreed?? They were the most beautiful birds I had ever seen. I bookmarked the thread and came back every few days to follow the story.

It wasn't until a year or so later that I finally joined. My first post was a pic of my EE chick. Later I found the AZ thread.

It seems like I go through spells when I check in everyday.......then may stay away for months. But like a true blue friend , BYC is here when I need it.

I am an information junkie. I admit it. I searched a lot of places, finally found a hatchery that let me order just a few chickens instead of 25. They have a nice site and lots of info but I needed more......I needed other chicken crazed people....then I stumbled across this site and I was home! Everything I wanted in one place.

I started with 3 chickens - encountered chicken math - ended up with 55 chickens. Life happened, learned some hard lessons. Learned about hawks, raccoons, foxes, opossoms and totally whacked out of the brain neighbor guy who took out my chickens before he did some other totally whacked stuff and was locked up and cannot come near my property without coming near his old place and violating his parole so yeah! His ex wife is the loveliest sweetest lady ever and I get to chat with her once in a while.

I stay because the people are great on this site. I love how supportive people are to each other and how much I have learned from other chicken crazed people.

Caroline

Last edited:
I found this site looking for more info on waterfowl and the more exotic pheasants actually. At the time there was mainly just GBWF. Its a wonderful site as well but I feel more straight foward and definitely not as chat worthy. I joined BYC because I found the folks here to be much nicer and more than willing to share information than all the other websites. Its no suprise or accident BYC now has such a huge fanbase. Great people starting at the very top. (Sorry Rob couldnt help myself) to the moderators to the folks who make up all the great catagories. For general bird keeping info BackYardChickens cant be beat. Shawn

Found this site (thank god) when a member of my flock became ill with sour crop. At the time chicken keeping was all very new to me and without this site and the information and advice available I would have lost her.
Since then I have joined and I can say with complete certainty that I have learned more over the last few weeks than could ever imagine possible.
Its so much easier to get through stuff when you don't feel alone :)

I'm new to chicken raising, had chickens several years ago but bought some that would never go broody etc... Last year decided to start doing it again and wanted to raise my own flock as the hens got older and stopped laying.. Almost 6 weeks ago one of my sweet hens went broody...again...allowed her this time to sit eggs and had tons of questions.. without fail everytime I would type in a question it led me to this site and I was able to have it answered.. So after a time I decided to join a forum I was spending a ton of time in.
Momma hen hatched out all five eggs and I know had it not been for the good folks here I would have done something that would have cost me the five chicks. You folks are awesome!

I stumbled on here when wife wanted to get some for eggs, I had never been around chickens and needed to learn quick, now two years later and getting to love my babies im so glad she did and have learned so much.

I was just needing a refresher course on chickens, it had been awhile, so while looking up breeds, care, etc. I came across this site. Since then I haven't needed to look anywhere else! I don't get to post too often or visit site even, with raising four small grandchildren, but find when I need some chicken info it is always right here, thanks for being an awesome group!

Hello,
My name is Penny and I found BYC through a chicken friend. We don't have chickens at this time, but are planning to in the near future so this site will help, I'm sure. My friend always talks about how great the site is. I have joined because I have Great Pyrenees puppies that I am trying to sell to farms, but found I need twenty posts to advertise them here, so I guess it's introduction time! Haha! Hope to gain a lot of knowledge here. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom