How do I choose breed?

kayjk27

Chirping
Jun 9, 2018
King County, WA
We have a 5 month old Polish Rooster and are looking to get 2 hens. Our local feed store will have 2 day old chicks this Friday and we plan on buying 3... What kind do I get? We are mostly just wanting our rooster to have companions and of course, we want eggs. I have read that Polish can often get picked on, so I want to make sure they get along...

I was told they will have Americana, bard rock, orpington, Brahma, and Rhode island reds.

My fiance wants at least one Brahma.

He has raised chickens before, and I have not so any tips/tricks/suggestions are appreciated! Thanks :)

I like the Bramas too but they will be very large hens, around 9 lbs. They may be too big for a Polish rooster to breed successfully. But if breeding isn't in your plans then I would go for at least one Brama. Really sweet hens. All the breeds you mention will make good laying hens and be easy to get along with. But don't be surprised if the hens decide to pick his head clean no matter what breed they are. You may want to have some anti-pick lotion on hand in case they are tempted by the topknot. RI Reds are a little more aggressive breed so the others might be a better choice.

It depends on what you want..the Americana are probably mislabeled easter eggers which are docile but flighty...good layers of any shade off egg depending in their genes
Barred rock I have no experience with but here they are mild mannered and lay brown eggs copiously...looks like you're getting a brahma:love
Orpingtons are the fluffiest friendliest breed I have and lay well, 5-6 eggs a week
Tbh, I did not enjoy my Rhode island reds...mine were bullies and I've heard they tend to be that way. Others will tell you different, and I suppose it depends on the breed
Good luck!! Enjoy your flock...I'm sure your polish will enjoy his ladies

RIR's and Ameuracaunas will probably make your roo's life living hades lol! Orphingtons and BR's not so much. Brahamas iv'e heard good things but im only getting my first one next month so I personally don't know yet. You need more choices, Dominiques "small and usually very nice" and Faverolles, "big but low and wide also wouldn't hurt anyone if you paid them.":)

Of course!! Here's me with our little Roo (named Fro) earlier today. He used to be pretty friendly but he seems to be outgrowing that

IMG_20180612_131412.jpg

Welcome! Brahmas tend to be very nice gentle birds, and beautiful. Not the best layers, but lovely birds. Some roosters grow up and turn into human aggressive jerks, and can be dangerous, especially for small people. Make sure that he moves out of your way, doesn't 'dance' for you, and ideally, avoids you and pays attention to his flock instead.
If he's been raised as a solitary cockerel, it's really hard to predict his behavior as he matures. Just be aware, and be careful.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom