How do I get my pullets to stay out of the coop?

Ariell

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2017
I have five 4 month old EE hens and 1 year old Long Island red hen. Red usually lays during the day while I'm at work, so I leave the coop door open while I'm at work so she can use the nesting box.
But everyday when I get home red is out in the run and the others are back in the coop. Is there a way I can teach them to stay out without separating them from red? They listen to her really well and she's a part of the flock. I don't want to disrupt that dynamic.

Chickens like to segregate. By age, by color, by breed. It's kind of funny, really. I'll take a picture and I'll have matching pairs sitting next to each other!
Hens get pretty pushy when they want to lay an egg. As long as she's at the top of the pecking order, she's going to get that egg where it goes.

Because they're not coming put into the run during the day. They're just staying in in the dark and everything I've read says that isn't good for them

My newbies do this. I think they get in there in the dark and they think it's bedtime. I keep a light on in the coop all day until they have it figured out. After that the timer goes back on mornings and evenings on only.

Because they're not coming put into the run during the day. They're just staying in in the dark and everything I've read says that isn't good for them
I wouldn't worry about them being inside the coop. They are probably in and out all day. They could even be getting close to laying and checking out the nestboxes. I have some chickens that never leave my shed, they are fine.

I wouldn't worry either. Are you sure they aren't just running in there when they hear you coming? I remember when I got a couple of my girls. They were young, and they'd run away from me every time into their house. They grew up and as they got older they weren't so fearful. I think it's a natural thing for younger animals to "hide" more than older ones. Chuck some food around in the run, they'll come out for it, even if they wait until you are out of sight before they do.

I wouldn't worry either. Are you sure they aren't just running in there when they hear you coming? I remember when I got a couple of my girls. They were young, and they'd run away from me every time into their house. They grew up and as they got older they weren't so fearful. I think it's a natural thing for younger animals to "hide" more than older ones. Chuck some food around in the run, they'll come out for it, even if they wait until you are out of sight before they do.
They usually aren't afraid of me, most of them follow me wherever I go and will jump up and peck my hands for food.

Back
Top Bottom