How do I house three or four cockerels only?

justduckyinVT

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
If I indeed have hatched four cockerels, how am I going to house them until A, we "harvest" them or B. we sell them to someone else to "harvest them"? I had great plans for a chicken coop, on the small size, but I think nesting boxes are no longer necessary. Any suggestions appreciated.

idunno.gif

A little A frame coop and run might be nice. If you just have the three boys, they should be OK by themselves, as long as you don't have any girls around. The girls will make them want to fight.

If you make a little A frame, it should be small enough to move around the yard and they can trim down the lawn, eat bugs etc. They should have a nice little life until someone harvests them.

A little A frame coop and run might be nice. If you just have the three boys, they should be OK by themselves, as long as you don't have any girls around. The girls will make them want to fight.

If you make a little A frame, it should be small enough to move around the yard and they can trim down the lawn, eat bugs etc. They should have a nice little life until someone harvests them.

goodpost.gif
I've heard the part I put in bold too.

I have 5 males in together(was 7), the girls sometimes hang out by their door no fighting so far.

At one time I had 20 + roosters housed together (someone was going to dump them in the woods).
They could see free ranging females and twice a female followed me into their pen, no fighting at all.

It depends on several things age,breed and temperment.

I have had lots of males free range with hens as well and they got along pretty good.

I think especially being raised together they will chum right up .. I am a little Roo heavy right now .. With my Free Range Chickens .. Occasionally my Boys will have a bit of a stand off over a hot Chick ; ) But they usually work it out .. They have learned who is dominant and the weaker Roos step aside when my king of the roost is busy .. On the upside my fertilization rate is probably 95 percent ; )

Thanks for those who chimed in, I'm going to be facing the same problem. I ended up with 3 or 4 roos and the most I plan on keeping is 1. I have someone who will take them either to free range or eat (I told her she could do either) but I will have to keep them until they are bigger. They are only 4 weeks now. How old are they when you process, if that is what you are going to do?

Cockerels should be compatable together. The problems start once they hit puberty and there are hens present.

If hens are present, then the cockerels need to establish a heirarchy. Once they know who is boss and they have a working pecking order, there should not be any problems. You will need to have hiding areas in the run so that the less dominate cocks have a place to hide and can get out of sight of the more dominant cock(s). Try not to interfere, let them work it out unless severe damage is being doen and the birds look to be evenly matched. We had 3 cocks in our flock, but there were hiding places in the run, there was lots of room for the flock...they were not crowded and once the initial squables were settled things were good in the flock. Older roosters will be challenged regularly though by the younger cocks...a 3+ year old rooster in a flock that contains younger cocks is a very tough old bird indeed.

If however you have two cocks that seem to be evenly matched...you will have problems as these two birds will squable and attack eachother until one gives in and becomes subordinant or they both are so damaged that they need medical attention. If they are evenly matched, you run the risk of loosing both birds. If you don't want to setup two separate coops and runs then you may want to choose the cock that you want to keep and find a home for the other bird, or make him the center piece of an upcoming meal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom