Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eat them

• Sell some, eat some

• Sell them but only to people you see fit

• Total voters
I agree 100% with everything FrenchToast said.

I do not plan to hatch just so that I don't have to deal with the issue (I'm too soft) but a good life followed by a quick death is the kindest way for any creature - chicken, human or other.

Quote:
It looks like your deciding wether to eat your birds or not, I myself would prefer my birds to go to a good home, they really aren't duel purpose roos. if I can't get rid of them they will be dinner .... just need to get someone else to do the deed for me once its lost its head its just another dinner bird.
hmm.png

I agree that you should try to find the best home possible. Barring that, I think a quick humane end would be preferable to cock-fighting. The reason I don't hatch is that I don't want to worry about too many roosters and drakes. I already have too many (natch-not enough hens LOL) from rescuing some wonderful boys from a possible stew pot fate. But I don't eat birds at all-too much like eating my friends!

I just sold some of my sheep today as I did not have enough pasture to support some unexpected lambs that came last spring. Although I clearly posted in my Craigslist ad that I was not selling them for eating, people still asked me how they were for meat. I am buying an emu next month from somebody who had the same thing happen when she posted on Craigslist. Oh well, at least people asked up front, instead of pretending they were going to pet homes.

If you have time to be extra particular, you could always ask the buyer if you can come visit. That may vet out some folks with other intentions. True you don't have rights after the animal is passed on, but you could make that a condition of the sale.

Quote:
am I wrong but isn't cock fighting illegal?

It is, but just like other illegial activities, just because it's illegial doesn't mean it's not done.

Quote:
I would have too. Here we name breeding animals, who live the life of a spoiled pet, with the understanding that the next generation will be harvested. Even if mr woolypants gets to hang around, i want to know that his offspring are sellable.

I give my extra roos away on CL. I do ask a few questions, to get a feel for the person taking my birds. If they seem ok, then away they go. I myself have not gotten brave enough to kill and eat my own animals, so I give them away in hopes that they will either have a chance at a good life, or go to someone who can do the deed quickly and painlessly.

Quote:
No, I don't think it's "harsh". When you say NO ONE .... you're wrong. There are many people who view chickens as livestock & who sell them w/o worrying that they might not have a happy life. I stand by what I said. If I sell a bird it's not mine any more & as such what the new owner does with the bird is none of my business.
Where does women voting enter into this discussion?

There are only a few breeds of cocks that will / can be used in cockfighting do you raise gamecocks ?? The 'normal' breeds of
barnyard egg laying chickens can't be used in cock fighting so what is all the fuss about who may or may not get birds that I either don't want or can't use ?????? I don't do it but I at least have done my homework on the subject .

Back
Top Bottom