How do you handle leaving the ducks alone if you go away for a few days??

I am in the plenty of room in their enclosed run if needed camp. I can leave them for up to a week without a worry.
I have a 5 gallon feeder which has enough food for 10 days, 2 automatic waterers, and I have a camera so I can see them and know everything is OK. (honestly I even watch them at work sometimes)
I do take away their swimming water when I leave for more than 2 nights. The 3rd day it's just too gross for me to feel comfortable with them in it. In turn I put out 2 buckets they can get their heads into. I don't have dirt on the floor of their house or the run and I strategically place them at the opposite end of the run from the food so they don't bring mouthfuls of food into the buckets.
Don't get me wrong I feel bad when I get back and they are mad at me for not being allowed their normal evening routine of foraging - and there is usually a heck of a mess to clean up - but I know they are safe and ducks are after all just feathered pigs. They couldn't care less about the mess like I do.
I always have someone on call in case they do need help of some kind, and my son normally checks on them daily when he's around.

Back
Top Bottom